Plugins in Muted track still receive Clip Automation?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jasefos

Plugins in Muted track still receive Clip Automation?

Post by jasefos » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:37 am

Howdy Live Crew,

Is it unreasonable for me to expect that when I Mute or Freeze a track, that the plugins within said track DO NOT receive Clip Automation data?

The reason I ask is that I use CTRLR (VST plugin) to communicate to my hardware synths (in this example, my Roland MKS80).

I use CTRLR because it gets around the old-chestnut of Live not supporting SysEx traffic. CTRLR gets around this nicely because it communicates directly with hardware MIDI ports (you disable these same ports in Live's MIDI preferences to prevent interference) and let's you build panels which can send SysEx to synths (and automate and have full Snapshot recall of patches you make for your project). I insert Live's External Effect module after CTRLR to bring audio back from the hardware synth into the MIDI track. This makes it Freezable since Live thinks it's simply sending MIDI notes to a VST synth.

Nice workflow ... until ... you add further instances of the same hardware synth. Even though the first instance is frozen as audio, any Clip Automation you've created for the 1st instance still reaches the synth thus effecting 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc) instances.

In my mind, a Frozen track should be entirely that but it is clear that the Clip Automation the Frozen track is still reaching my MKS80 (only Automation, thankfully Note data behaves as you'd expect).

Is there a workaround for this? Perhaps some kind of Max4Live automation blocker that can be inserted which can detect that a track is frozen to prevent this from happening?

Cheers!

JaseFOS
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS