EQ ON/OFF Automation into a FX rack

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RURTOS

EQ ON/OFF Automation into a FX rack

Post by RURTOS » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:30 pm

hello,

i'am actually preparing a liveset (on Ableton Live 8), and i use a channel containing VST's i use for acid lines.
every different VST has its own EQ, and to save some CPU, i'd like to turn them on & off each time i change the vst i use; i made an automation in my midi clip, that allows to change the used vst & eq when i launch the clip, using of course the chain selector.

A guy told me it was possible to turn the eq on/off maybe using the same macro that the one used to select the eq, but i don't know how to do it...

Could help me please? Is there a tutorial showing that method?

Thanks a lot,

Olivier

Steve Glen

Re: EQ ON/OFF Automation into a FX rack

Post by Steve Glen » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:12 am

yeah man! I got the workflow for you. This is a great technique for live sets with many different parts

see steps 1-4

1. Group all the devices on the channel. Eq8 isn't very CPU hungry, but reverbs and soft synths usually are.
Turn off the group with I/O button: top left.

2.Using the MIDI clip that you want to play, turn the rack on. This turns all the devices inside it on, but only when the clip is played. 1 breakpoint will do.

3. Add some smoothing for the end of your clip. Do this by creating a dummy clip underneath (assuming you work downwards, scencewise), that contains no notes.

4. The clip automation for the dummy clip looks like this.

You will notice that the Envelope Loop type is 'Unlinked.' This means that the envelope automation is unhinged from the clip envelope length. Although not necessarily a requirement of this type of dummy clip, I think it makes the programming nicer. What is a necessary feature is the differentiation from the clip start time (right facing triangle), and the clip loop brace (starting at bar 3.1.1 in the above picture). What happens here is the automation is left on for 2 bars, then turned off for a half bar, which is looped indefinitely. The result is that the devices are still turned on from the last clip you played, but without any new notes, allowing the reverb tails to naturally fall to a low level before being cut out of the mix.

The final two steps allows for your reverb tails to trail off after you have stopped playing the sounds....if you need them. Otherwise, turning off the synths/fx can be a little abrupt, in an unpleasant way. ....................Unless your music calls for abruptness!

For an example of this technique that you can get your hands on play with and dissect, I have a project posted at https://splice.com/steveglen/d-k-s-l

RURTOS

Post by RURTOS » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Great! Thank you so much for your answer, i gonna try it and i 'll keep you informed!

RURTOS

Post by RURTOS » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Hello, thank you for your answer, but what i want to do the same, but in the MIDI Clip view. I have t owork with macros.

The initial idea is to desactivate the EQ/FX/synth i don't use while playing another track with an automation.
The method that i've heard about is to link each ON/OFF knob ( of an eq as an example) to a macro, and to link the dash from the chain selector to the same macro, and after that, simply assign each range for each eq in the chain view.

Ex: When playing a midi clip with a value between 0-41, only the eq related to this one is activated, etc...

I exactly follow the procedure people told me, but it did not work; maybe is it only feasible in Ableton Live 9?... i'am currrently working on the 8 version.

You can download my FX rack here if you want to check it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/un1r6guwtlxu7 ... n.adg?dl=0

Thanks a lot!

RURTOS

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 am

Try changing the min/max values in the Macro you want to do multiple things:

By default the number for the "Device on" are Min64 Max127

If you change this to Min1 Max0, then as soon as you dial in any of that Macro, the device turns on.

I use this trick all the time to save CPU.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:11 am

also... I just downloaded your fx rack.

that's not going to work the way you want it group the eqs as different chains in an FX rack.

Doing it that way is making it run in Parallel... which will duplicate your signal. You want to run them in series... one after the other.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:28 pm

map on/of of eq'S in row to the same macro knob, but from for example:

eq1 0- 10 eq2 11-20 ... eqx 120-127.

RURTOS

Post by RURTOS » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:10 pm

That's still done, but it seems strange that i forgot it in the rack i've sent you! Sorry!

Try this one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj007p3kwzrk8 ... 2.adg?dl=0

It should have three ranges: 0--> 41, 42-->83, 84--> 128

I gonna try to edit the macro knob values.

RURTOS

Post by RURTOS » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:42 pm

After sending the same file to a friend, it seems that the range set dissapears when it is opened on another computer, probably on Ableton 9...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:36 pm

RURTOS wrote:After sending the same file to a friend, it seems that the range set dissapears when it is opened on another computer, probably on Ableton 9...
Range set integrity is maintained here. We share projects via Splice and created devices move with those.
Make some music!

RURTOS

Post by RURTOS » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 pm

I did not know what is Splice...My EQ rack is ok now, i 've found that i just have to set the range of each power knob in the map mode. I've done the same with my VST rack, that works perfectly, and i'll probably post a tutorial on this subject one of these days.

Thank you all ;)

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:22 am

I was inspired by this concept of turning eq's on/off inside a rack, so I made this 1-knob 'Eq Flavours' rack. I don't know if it was what you were trying to do, but someone might find it useful.

Concept: 2 eq8's in serial where 1 knob adjusts overall eq. At halfway (63/64) one instance is turned off and the other is turned on. The purpose to this rack is that the depth/freq adjustments linked to the knob are non-linear, but the transition between the two eq8s is seamless.

links
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... Single.adg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... Double.adg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... Triple.adg

The settings were not designed for any particular instruments- just random. I think it would be nice to have a small handful of these things for quick eq tests for sound engineering or maybe even placed in an effects chain.

RURTOS

Post by RURTOS » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Yes, it is exactly what i wanted to create; i've done the same with a vst rack, and another one is FX.
Though i could have done this in the same chain, vst + fx + comp + eq + reverb.