cannot do without a basic wave editor any longer; question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nowtime

cannot do without a basic wave editor any longer; question

Post by nowtime » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 am

I am trying to keep my files as pristine as possible, doing space music with a Virus Ti and a Kronos through a RME UFX, recording at 48/32. I am assuming it is a wise choice to keep neutral operations while editing.

due to the realization that consolidate clips is a non-neutral operation I need a tool to fix volume levels of certain notes. And I need to downsample rendered files which I have been doing in Logic, which I assume is a better choice than Live. That's it!

I just tried Audacity, but there is no way to fix the volume of certain notes. I tried Soundtrack Pro, but it will not open in 10.8.5 and will not re-install from disc! I could not find any solution that works on the net.

I do not need and cannot afford a $200 editor. There is Wavepad for $70. There is OcenAudio which is free. There is TwistedWave Lite for $20, will that work? There is Fission for $32, how about that? Would Logic 9 work for this purpose???

fishmonkey

Re: cannot do without a basic wave editor any longer; question

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:11 am

Audacity isn't a great solution anyway, as it always want to save the file in its own special format.

the few times i've tried OcenAudio it's been a bit buggy.

i have DSP-Quattro and Adobe Audition, which both do the job. however i find Fission the best for fast edits, and it works well as an external editor with Live...

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:22 am

Ocenaudio buggy, really? I found it solid as a rock. They have been updating it regularly, so it may have improved since you tried it.

But I will check out Fission too.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:31 am

it was only about a month since i last tried it. i can't remember the problems i had. installed, launched, crashed. maybe it's a Yosemite thing. or might have been the VST handling...

Post by re:dream » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:55 am

But Fission is not free! No deal. Sticking to ocen 8)

Besides being free, it is also easy to use, and will allow you to do the kind of editing the OP was referring to...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:36 am

fishmonkey wrote:Audacity isn't a great solution anyway, as it always want to save the file in its own special format.

the few times i've tried OcenAudio it's been a bit buggy.
Audacity is probably great, but I wouldn't know as it continues to not run on my machine. I probably have to compile it myself. Ocenaudio hasn't let me down yet, so I have no real reason to.

Fission is one good commercial contender. I'm contemplating that.
Make some music!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:09 pm

So, what are a few of the things you use an editor for? Curious minds want to know!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:17 pm

I don't understand why, if you're running your Virus into Ableton, you're not recording MIDI instead of audio. Then you would have the per-note editing that your looking for. Adjusting the individual volumes in a audio file just seems like a lot of trouble, especially in Space Music where the notes are going to be held for long durations and overlap each other. Just seems like a nightmare.

If you're trying to modify recorded audio in this way, I saw a really great demo of Melodyne. I remember it would let you repitch individual notes in an audio file, but can't remember if it also allowed you to manipulate note volume.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Richie Witch wrote: If you're trying to modify recorded audio in this way, I saw a really great demo of Melodyne. I remember it would let you repitch individual notes in an audio file, but can't remember if it also allowed you to manipulate note volume.
It does, but it's not a cheap option.

Here's a useful article on the subject.
Garry Knight

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Richie Witch wrote:I don't understand why, if you're running your Virus into Ableton, you're not recording MIDI instead of audio. Then you would have the per-note editing that your looking for. Adjusting the individual volumes in a audio file just seems like a lot of trouble, especially in Space Music where the notes are going to be held for long durations and overlap each other. Just seems like a nightmare.

If you're trying to modify recorded audio in this way, I saw a really great demo of Melodyne. I remember it would let you repitch individual notes in an audio file, but can't remember if it also allowed you to manipulate note volume.
Excellent!

The reason, frustratingly, was that midi does not accurately capture my knob twiddling. (Isn't that what midi is for? ) I had learned that the sequencer does not record the snapshot of the setting where the envelope begins. So the automation is relative. Am I missing something? Maybe it is easier than I imagine to go in and set the exact start level?

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Gonna check out OcenAudio. Anyone else use it?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:30 pm

nowtime wrote:Gonna check out OcenAudio. Anyone else use it?
I think a couple of people were talking about it in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=212404
Unsound Designer

Post by re:dream » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:35 am

Stringy, you'r such a card. 8)

I do.

It is dead simple & easy to use; it's free; and for me at least it's stable.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/06/30/ocenau ... ternative/
http://www.softwarecrew.com/2014/09/oce ... io-editor/

Kvetch

Post by Kvetch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:50 pm

I use Wavosaur, its completely free and works great. It has never crashed or bugged out on me

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:08 pm

^ Windoze only. OP is on Mac.
Unsound Designer