Autofilter "quantize beat" mystery...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
peeddrroo

Autofilter "quantize beat" mystery...

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:38 pm

can someone explain me what "quantize beat" in the autofilter is supposed to do? i really never understood it. and even less now that the LFO can be synched in L5.

at least, i'd be happy to know if someone has already used it on purpose, to achieve a certain effect (and which one?).

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:16 pm

Think sample and hold, really.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Orbit-50

Auto Filter Beat Quantizer

Post by Orbit-50 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:41 pm

Hey there Peeddrroo, It's funny that you should ask that question! Today I used "Auto Filter" for the very first time. (I usually use Antares Filter, or PSP Nitro.) The reason for this, was the fact that I needed five or six instances of filtering and thought I would save some CPU by using the "Auto Filter". Well I did! It also sounds pretty good. It doesn't have tons of features, but it gets the job done. Here's the deal. The "Quantize Beat Control" works in conjunction with the "Auto Filter's" frequency clip envelope. First set up your synth plugin. Record a note two bars long. Then add an "Auto Filter" onto the same track. Now go to the clip view's "Envelopes" box. Find your "Control" chooser. In the top box select "Auto Filter". In the lower box, select "Frequency". In your clip automation window, set up a two bar downward filter sweep. Now turn the "Quantize Beat Control" on and select the number 2 button. This will introduce an 8th note stepped filter sweep, as opposed to a smooth sounding linear filter sweep. Great for adding some simple rhythm to an otherwise boring filter sweep. Enjoy!

peeddrroo

Re: Auto Filter Beat Quantizer

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:46 pm

Orbit-50 wrote:Hey there Peeddrroo, It's funny that you should ask that question! Today I used "Auto Filter" for the very first time. (I usually use Antares Filter, or PSP Nitro.) The reason for this, was the fact that I needed five or six instances of filtering and thought I would save some CPU by using the "Auto Filter". Well I did! It also sounds pretty good. It doesn't have tons of features, but it gets the job done. Here's the deal. The "Quantize Beat Control" works in conjunction with the "Auto Filter's" frequency clip envelope. First set up your synth plugin. Record a note two bars long. Then add an "Auto Filter" onto the same track. Now go to the clip view's "Envelopes" box. Find your "Control" chooser. In the top box select "Auto Filter". In the lower box, select "Frequency". In your clip automation window, set up a two bar downward filter sweep. Now turn the "Quantize Beat Control" on and select the number 2 button. This will introduce an 8th note stepped filter sweep, as opposed to a smooth sounding linear filter sweep. Great for adding some simple rhythm to an otherwise boring filter sweep. Enjoy!
thanks, i got it now...
though, this is not only linked to enveloppes, since i think this feature was available in Live2, which didn't have clip enveloppes.
but what i understood is that if you change the freq value and have "beat quantise" on, the freq changes in quantized steps rather than smoothly.
that's cool, i'm not going to use this feature, but at least i know what it is!