EVERYTHING in Live should be Key/MIDI controlled....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Show/hide all subwindows via Keyboard commands or MIDI in Live 5, or 5.x.x ?

Yes- this is important to me
88%
No- why are you so wound up about it?
12%

Total votes: 33

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 am

jamesp wrote:Surely I'm not the only person who's tried to keymap the keymap key. :)
<CTRL><K> in Live 5 ....
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:17 am

I've decided to use Live primarily on my powerbook, considering it's only a little less CPU than the dual..... This really shouts out at you when you're using a track pad.

I don't want to disrespect long time users, but I don't understand why this hasn't been fixed, complained about, shouted from the rooftops....

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:55 am

Machinesworking wrote: I don't want to disrespect long time users, but I don't understand why this hasn't been fixed, complained about, shouted from the rooftops....

Totally agreed ...

Having a user-defineable set of comprehensive, Key Command hooks make a massive difference to workflow.

I only wished software developers would adopt the policy of "Anytime we add a new button on the GUI we'll make a Key Command hook available for it". Key commands should be available for any conceivable button press on the interface.

If Live wasn't such an AMAZING application I wouldn't be so forgiving of this shortcoming however it's done wanders for breaking my writer's block (*priceless in its own right*).

Cheers
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:12 am

jasefos wrote:
jamesp wrote:Surely I'm not the only person who's tried to keymap the keymap key. :)
<CTRL><K> in Live 5 ....
<command><k> on a mac in Live 4..... probably same on PC except replace Command with Control.... :wink:

supster

Post by supster » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:37 am

Machinesworking wrote:
I don't want to disrespect long time users, but I don't understand why this hasn't been fixed, complained about, shouted from the rooftops....

jeez man, i have. where ya been? ;)
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:52 am

supster wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

jeez man, i have. where ya been? ;)
Not loud enough I guess? :wink: :oops:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:07 am

OK I'm hoping for more votes, and a little input from Ableton on why this isn't already implemented? :)

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:17 am

Machinesworking wrote:OK I'm hoping for more votes, and a little input from Ableton on why this isn't already implemented? :)
what is it that you want implemented?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:47 am

Livewire wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:OK I'm hoping for more votes, and a little input from Ableton on why this isn't already implemented? :)
what is it that you want implemented?
Well let's see? Show/Hide with keyboard commands or via midi all submenus like the file browser, Track/Clip veiw, Launch box, Notes box, Envelopes box. These are all total song writing productivity things to be able to show and hide.
What I do not and cannot understand is why they skipped implementing key/MIDI commands for these, but bothered with info view, in/out, return tracks, send section, mixer section, and the crossfader section. Those aren't the sort of everyday show/hide tasks that the browser is for instance? Certainly on larger tasks in the mixer, or for those times when you have the MIDI piano style editor spread across the whole screen, it would make perfect sense to be able to hit a key command or assign a MIDI button to show hide parts of the screen???
Yeah I'm ranting a bit, but Live is fast becoming my favorite DAW, and the limitations are REALLY apparent when it comes to song writing, nothing is set up with speed in mind... I was hoping for this in 5. :(

Yes, I know 5 has a lot of really cool stuff, but if I still can't work as fast in Live as I can in Logic, then that's a serious drag IMO. I get tired of transferring audio files to lIve etc.