Live 9 Drum rack cuts frequencies really? Possible Bug

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alberto_bros

Live 9 Drum rack cuts frequencies really? Possible Bug

Post by Alberto_bros » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:51 am

Hi guys! :) I inserted white noise in a drum rack and I saw a very ugly cutting... when I analysed it with a spectrum analyser. Does this happen to you?
I attach a picture a screenshot with the spectrum and the White noise in the Drum rack ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxiv4ozeykono ... 7.png?dl=0 ) and one with the same noise, but inserted in the simple. ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sbf9lt01q3to ... 5.png?dl=0 )
Cheers and thank you in advance.
Last edited by Alberto_bros on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alberto_bros

Re: Live 9 Drum rack cuts frequencies really?

Post by Alberto_bros » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:55 am

Sorry: inserted in the Simpler.

Stromkraft

Re: Live 9 Drum rack cuts frequencies really?

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Alberto_bros wrote:Sorry: inserted in the Simpler.
Why are you expecting the same frequency response in Simpler as the source file? It's an instrument, not an alternative track format.

Here's what I get with pink noise in MMultiAnalyzer and Filter off and no velocity effect in Simpler (Blue being audio and green being Simpler)

As you can see the top end is rolled off a bit in Simpler. I do see the same thing in Sampler, so the roll off is not limited to Simpler.

Make some music!

Stromkraft

Re: Live 9 Drum rack cuts frequencies really? Possible Bug

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Just for fun I repeated this spectrum analysis in NI Kontakt 5 where there's clearly no roll off above 10k:

Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:05 pm

With all that data indicating a roll off — which is not the same thing as a cut at all — I wouldn't worry that much for typical drum rack sounds or typical synth sounds either, but if you really need a really fair response above 10k you need to use some other Sampling synth that has such a response. Edit: Or turn off interpolation as that removes this issue.

Don't make any decisions on this quick and dirty test. There's nothing to worry about using Simpler/Sampler for building great sounds. If you like them as instruments. I like Sampler.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:03 am

Couple of questions:

Do you have Interpolation switched to "Best" in the sample pane when using Sampler?

I don't if this makes any difference, but do you have Sample Rate & Pitch Conversion set to High Quality in Live's audio preferences?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Pitch Black wrote:Couple of questions:

Do you have Interpolation switched to "Best" in the sample pane when using Sampler?
I did not. Tried with that, same result.

However, "no interpolation" takes away this effect almost completely according to the retest. Well, with pink noise anyway. This is just a few dBs. No-one should take any of this as "proof" that Simpler/Sampler has crappy spectral reproduction.
Pitch Black wrote: I don't if this makes any difference, but do you have Sample Rate & Pitch Conversion set to High Quality in Live's audio preferences?
I did.

Thanks for your suggestions. My previous test result above is now debunked which proves that track playback and sample playback is not the same thing necessarily.
Make some music!

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:48 pm

i would also try turning off the filter... in mine, it defaults to on, but at 22KHz, which is not necessarily off, since the filter cutoff is often the 3db point. 10 KHz is only an octave below there or so, so you might see dropoff from 11-22khz. But you can just turn it off completely, which should remove the effect.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:29 pm

theophilus wrote:i would also try turning off the filter... in mine, it defaults to on, but at 22KHz, which is not necessarily off, since the filter cutoff is often the 3db point. 10 KHz is only an octave below there or so, so you might see dropoff from 11-22khz. But you can just turn it off completely, which should remove the effect.
In all tests I did the filter was off of course, so that was not the culprit here. That's a very obvious thing to do, you know.
Stromkraft wrote: "Here's what I get with pink noise in MMultiAnalyzer and Filter off and no velocity effect in Simpler…"
See?
Make some music!