Novation Launchpad Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Novation Launchpad Pro

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:14 pm

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/02/n ... eton-push/

I'm sold on this. I'm especially pumped for velocity sensitivity, colors, native midi.

I want to see if step sequencing gets implemented.

And the gradual fading is starting to look more interesting from that video. He was able to do several in gradual change, then switch pages and have more do the same while the others continue fading. I wonder what methods are available for these gradual fades, If they use cc or note, and if they are software/computer reliant or supported in standard midi mode.

I reeeally want to see that one person who jams this thing through a synth in the isometric mode with no computer.

Also, does it have program change??? I mean... It's got all those buttons! Does it have a customized midi programming method??

yur2die4

Re: Novation Launchpad Pro

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:15 am

http://youtu.be/8xPyYZMmi5o

After the 16 min mark is the stuff I'm excited about :D

Like midi channel select from the controller?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:11 am

I am sold as well.
Much more appealing than push for my use.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:42 am

I'm awaiting the postman...

CHeers
D

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:35 am

S4racen wrote:I'm awaiting the postman...

CHeers
D
Has a release date for this thing even be announced yet?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:40 pm

Not that i'm aware of... Will let you know when i do...

Cheers
D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:28 am

The Launchpad Pro is out. Anyone have one, and if so, what are your impressions?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:09 am

Well. I'd love to have it, but am tight on cash and time.

However, there is this, which offers a 'cure' for the Pro's limited scale mode:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/08/g ... -new-ways/
(Works with all launchpads, has a button to temporarily play alternate scale while within a scale)

But yeah, I have zero hands on experience to report. Sorry.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:35 pm

Yes, I already have ISO-J74, and Fabrizio's work is truly excellent; the new version runs as standalone, not as a VST in live, so you can use it with external instruments.
Because of it, my Launchpad Pro is on order. (I also have a Launchpad S, Mini, and the original Launchpad.

I currently have a Launchpad Mini set up, and the program came up on my two laptops (one Win10 Home x64, and one Win10 pro x32, but would not come up on Win10 pro x64 on my main computer. We finally got it up and running by using a different compile for Max4Live, and I'm sure that issue will be fixed in the next up date.

ISO-J74 is a monumental program for Launchpad (all versions), and Fabrizio (along with Mots/Launchpad95) are to be congratulated for making these controllers so accessible to musicians.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:29 pm

I think the launchpad pro is great. got one a couple of weeks ago.
why i like it:
I'm not a keyboard player, I'm a really basic guitar player, but guitar is my noodling instrument of choice. the combination of velocity sensitivity and rows which increment in 4ths really works for me.
I owned the 1st edition launchpad and its totally great, but switching between session mode and anything else was a cognitive load i couldnt really handle live. additionally the dual purposing of the right hand row as scene launch buttons and function selectors in the mixer mode was really high risk for me. i've launched scenes when i intended to go a page in the mixer menu. this has all been designed out in the lp pro thru the use of momentary switching between pages by holding a button down, and a load more buttons, which are all clearly labelled. it's just better for live performance
the addition of proper midi out is really handy for me - I've got midi synths with no usb
its usb class compliant so i dont have to think about drivers on an ipad or pc or whatever

apart from the price the only real downsides are the complexity of the python script, the absence of a step sequencer and the difference between user modes on the original lp and this one, which knackers a max patch i'd made.
Edit. In note mode the rows increment in 5 semitones. Not strictly 4ths. It doesn't really do scales.
Also...It's got dedicated undo, session record and quantise buttons. All good for the way I work.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't going to get one, and I lasted almost two weeks.. :)