pre/post Effect divergence

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rburtons

pre/post Effect divergence

Post by rburtons » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello,

here's what's happening to me: I have one audio track with audio from a guitar through an interface and and some effects on it, when I play directly into the track the track without arming it -so not recording- the result is different than when I play with the track armed -so recording-... what am I missing?

Cheers

R.

dave247

Re: pre/post Effect divergence

Post by dave247 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:19 pm

rburtons wrote:Hello,

here's what's happening to me: I have one audio track with audio from a guitar through an interface and and some effects on it, when I play directly into the track the track without arming it -so not recording- the result is different than when I play with the track armed -so recording-... what am I missing?

Cheers

R.

I really want to help you out since I use Live a whole lot to record guitar. However, I have no idea what your problem is. Can you please explain your problem in a more clear way? Like, proof read what you write and make sure it makes sense both logically and grammatically.

Mainly, I have no idea what you mean when you say "the result is different than when I play with the track armed". Different how? Are there no effects or what?

rburtons

Post by rburtons » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Hey,

simple, let's say the effects on the track are a reverb and a delay; if I record the guitar -track armed- I can hear both effects, if I just play the guitar but I don't record -track not armed- the audio I hear doesn't go through the effects.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:09 am

Sounds like you have the track's input setting to "Auto". This means you would only hear your gtr and FX when the track is armed. Set it to "In" and you should be able to hear your gtr through the track's FX.

If the input selector isn't currently showing, click the little round i/o button on the right of the Live window.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

dave247

Post by dave247 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:51 am

rburtons wrote:Hey,

simple, let's say the effects on the track are a reverb and a delay; if I record the guitar -track armed- I can hear both effects, if I just play the guitar but I don't record -track not armed- the audio I hear doesn't go through the effects.
Ok. What I get from what you are saying now is that you are both arming and recording at the same time, and when you are not recording, you are also no arming the track.

You have to arm the track to hear what you are playing (arming the track meaning you hit the little button at the bottom with the thick black dot which also looks like the record button). You DO NOT have to be recording when you have the track armed if you don't want to. Either way, if you do not arm the track then you will not hear anything through that audio or midi channel.

Does that help?

rburtons

Post by rburtons » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Hey,

thanks for the replies, I finally figured it out, so the arm and in/auto situation was alright, actually, the effect I'm using in reaktor has some morphing that only activates while you're recording.

J.