My own controller mapping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cielu

My own controller mapping

Post by Cielu » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Hello,
My name is Peter, I'm young mechanical engineer.
Acutally I am working on some MIDI controllers.
I've made one which is designed for controlling audio effects in ableton. (something simillar to Novation Nocturn)

Here is how it works:

It consists of 6 Potentiometers. Each of the potentiometer sends following MIDImessage
(Channel 1...8, Controler Parameter 1...6, Value 0...127)
There are also 2 buttons allowing you to switch channels from 1 to 8.
Each potentiometer can be "turned off" and "turned on". When it's off - you can switch it's position and it will not send any MIDI data.
When you turn it on - then it will send it's new position.

Why did i decide to make it?
Now i have 6 potentiometers and can take control of 48 parameters.

However Mapping this is really annoying if you start new project.
Choose effect 1, turn pot 1,2,3. Switch Channel.
Choose effect 2, turn pot 1,2,3...6 Switch Channel and so on and so on...

Is there anyone with a better Max for Live or just Ableton knowledge who could write a 'standard mapping'?
For for example 3-4 mostly used effects in Ableton (Eq, Reverb, Beat Repeater) ?

My example idea is:
Channel One - Equilizer. Pot 1 - Gain Low . Pot 2 - Gain Mid . Pot 3 - Gain High. Rest - None or "Map it yourself"
Channel Two - Beat Repeater. Pot 1 - Interval. Pot 2 - Pattern. Pot 3 - Chance.
Channel Three - Reverb. Pot 1 - Freq. Pot 2 - gain. Pot 3 - Dry/Wet. Pot 4 - Early Reflection Freq. Pot 5 - E. R. Gain.

And so on and so on.

Thanks for reading this so long post please write your ideas for mapping, ask questions and feel free to comment :)

savyurrecords

Re: My own controller mapping

Post by savyurrecords » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Not sure if this will work but you can easily try it.

Make an audio effect rack. Put one of the effects that you want to control in that rack. Map the macros to the controls in the effect that you want to use with the MIDI controller. Turn on MIDI Map and map the macros to your midi controller. Save the effect rack and give it a unique name.

Test it by opening a new project and then grabbing your saved effect rack. Is the midi mapping still there?

IF this doesn't work you could create a template that has all your stuff saved but it will not be as flexible.

login

Re: My own controller mapping

Post by login » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:22 pm