How to record mouse clicks in the piano roll?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mastoppa

How to record mouse clicks in the piano roll?

Post by mastoppa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:38 pm

If the audition button is ON, clicking the notes in the piano roll plays the notes...NICE! (and obvious)
What is not nice and also not obvious is that if you arm the track and press record, clicking on the piano roll doesnt record anything.....or at least for me unless there is some trick i am missing....

also in drum racks same story...you can preview and click as much as you want but not possible to record...(some other secret trick)
usually ableton is a really friendly and intuitive program so i really wonder if i am missing something...

and please do not suggest me to use the qwerty keyboard or a midi controller.....

TomViolenz

Re: How to record mouse clicks in the piano roll?

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 pm

mastoppa wrote:If the audition button is ON, clicking the notes in the piano roll plays the notes...NICE! (and obvious)
What is not nice and also not obvious is that if you arm the track and press record, clicking on the piano roll doesnt record anything.....or at least for me unless there is some trick i am missing....

also in drum racks same story...you can preview and click as much as you want but not possible to record...(some other secret trick)
usually ableton is a really friendly and intuitive program so i really wonder if i am missing something...
record it into arrangement and then select the recorded section and right click "make selection new scene"
Now what you did while recording is in the new session clip.
and please do not suggest me to use the qwerty keyboard or a midi controller.....
Why not?! It's the most sensible thing to do!

mastoppa

Post by mastoppa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:21 pm

record it into arrangement
HOW? it does not make any difference in session or arrangement...you can click as much as you want in the piano roll ....it plays but nothing get recorded...you can record audio if you want but that's not really practical...

Why not?! It's the most sensible thing to do!
well obviously there are moments when you have no midi controller with you....and the qwerty keyboard i find it unpractical sometimes , just one octave at a time....
playing on the piano rolls allows for some effects like fast sliding of notes or some glide fx when played in a clip wich has already some notes...also you can use the "FOLDED" view so you can only play "good" notes or notes belonging to a certain scale...when playing drums you can read the name of the sound etc...
many reasons to record from piano roll ...i think in the past i used this feature but maybe it was with another daw...or maybe in fact there's a trick i am missing? anyone?

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:33 pm

Audio from the fingerboard representation left of the pianoroll and play buttons in drum rack cells is for prelistening only - they don't create midi events.

You need to draw the notes into the pianoroll itself.
mastoppa wrote:you can record audio
You can't record prelisten or cue audio. Cue out (see master track's I/O) is an individual bus straight to the hardware output you've defined there. You'd need some hardware routing trickery to record this, but that's REALLY impractical.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:55 am

Oh I assumed he was talking about the Midi events that he inputs when he hears those sounds. These can of course be recorded into arrangement. You are then basically step sequencing with the mouse. But of course the sound will happen in that recording at the timing of the Midi event (so whenever the playhead passes over the Midi note you had input), and not at the time the audio sound happens from that little blue headphone icon.

m:o

Post by m:o » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 am

chrk wrote:Audio from the fingerboard representation left of the pianoroll and play buttons in drum rack cells is for prelistening only - they don't create midi events.
I remember this was possible in Live4 -record pianoroll clicking into clip. Around Live7 this was not possible anymore. I emailedmsupport back then and was told that this was kicked as it interferred with other program decisions. Sad but i forgot about this until i saw this thread.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:53 pm

mastoppa wrote:If the audition button is ON, clicking the notes in the piano roll plays the notes...NICE! (and obvious)

I have to say in all honesty this has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've read here in a long time.
It's like you intentionally tried to figure out something that no one but you would want, then acted like it was a broken feature set in Live?

mastoppa

Post by mastoppa » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:13 am

I have to say in all honesty this has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've read here in a long time.
I am glad you liked it, if you want i will PM you evey time i post more...!

First of all how do you know that is a feature that no one wants?
Second it turns out that in fact it is a kind of a broken feature as this was available in AB4 and then removed as the user m:o pointed out....ah and by the way he liked that to...!

Anyhow discussion closed...its not possible and that's it...i might post in the request feature section...

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 pm

I know this doesn't answer your original question but you might find this open source Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard useful -> http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:01 pm

1. Create a second MIDI track/dummy track and route the output of that to the Track In of the instrument you want played. Enable audition for dummy MIDI track.
2. Record-arm the instrument device track and the MIDI dummy, set to In or Auto for instrument track.
3. Start recording clip in live instrument track, audition track using MIDI dummy track. This will record MIDI data into the track from the piano roll audition.

If you want to capture audio, you can do the same thing but also route an additional audio track to capture audio from the instrument device track, and record the same way.

mastoppa

Post by mastoppa » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:03 am

Agent 314!!!!!
IT WORKS....! the solution was sooooo simple!!! i knew there was a trick , there's always a trick in ableton....

Also this method works for overdubbing...you play on the dummy track a clip you already have and then progressively add with the mouse more notes...great for drums or for note portamento glides....

And there's more...if you have a drum rack in the main track and click "fold" on the dummy track you can see the name of the drum samples!!!!! great!!

thanks ableton and thanks agent314

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 am

mastoppa wrote:Agent 314!!!!!
IT WORKS....!
It does, and I'm baffled.

So the fingerboard DOES create midi events after all, only Live doesn't record them onto the current track.

Learn something new every day. :lol:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 am

I still prefer a MIDI controller, though.