Recording Vinyl in Stereo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jobis

Recording Vinyl in Stereo

Post by Jobis » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:44 pm

I have been trying to record vinyl records into ableton for a while but I can't get the input signal to have any panning variation. The signal just gets squashed so it is completely equal in left and right. I've tried changing the input configuration but nothing seems to work. The signal is going from my turntable, to phono converted to guitar cable, into my interface (akai EIE), then into ableton. Please help me!

Richie Witch

Re: Recording Vinyl in Stereo

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Isn't your guitar cable TS (tip/sleeve)? Since there are only two conductors in a guitar cable, you can't pass a stereo signal. You need three conductors for that (minimum). The stereo signal is being summed by whatever you are using to convert the phono connections to the guitar cable.

You also can't record stereo if you are only plugged into one input on your audio interface, unless you are doing some sort of reverse phase trick in Ableton (even that wouldn't be true stereo). You need the two outputs from the turntable to connect to two inputs on the interface, and then tell Ableton to monitor the two inputs from the interface on a single channel.

Take the guitar cable out of the signal path, use some sort of stereo pair, connect to two inputs on your audio interface, and you should be fine.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Your guitar cable does not have enough conductors to pass stereo. What are you using to convert the phono signal to line level?
You will either need a cable to 'Y' the signal from a single 3 conductor TRS 1/4" connector to two 2 conductor TS 1/4" connectors to plug into two inputs on your interface.

Jobis

Post by Jobis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Can you give me an example of a stereo pair? I can't seem to find anything online that converts rca audio to two separate guitar cables. My interface only accepts guitar cables and XLR. I guess I could use two rca audio to guitar adapters and use one for left and one for right, but there must be a better way than that. Thanks

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Two of these, or similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-HOS-CP ... rca+to+1+4

You're not really looking for guitar cables. What you need are mono or TS (tip-sleeve) 1/4-inch plugs. It just happens that guitar cables use that format.

Jobis

Post by Jobis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:15 pm

That looks perfect except I need the RCAs to be female. I can't find any. Do you know where I could find one? Thank you

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:25 pm

You should be able to find any configuration you need on a search ie: XLR male to RCA female, ¼” male to RCA female, etc.

I’ve also gone on ebay and bought a bunch of different cable adaptor types in bulk so I can make whatever connection I might need in a pinch. Sure I may not need 20 of one adaptor type but when I can get them for $10 total then why not.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Jobis wrote:That looks perfect except I need the RCAs to be female. I can't find any. Do you know where I could find one? Thank you
How about two of these? This would convert the XLR inputs on the front of your interface to RCA (female) and you can plug your turntable in directly to those.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/ada ... RCAFXLRM-1

Jobis

Post by Jobis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Wow thank you Richie Witch! You really helped me out. I just ordered a pair.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:40 am

savyurrecords wrote:What are you using to convert the phono signal to line level?
This ^^^

Turntables do NOT output their audio signal at line level.

You're going to need something like the Art DJPre to boost the turntable's phono signal regardless of cables/adapters used.

http://www.amazon.com/ART-II-Preamplifi ... B000AJR482

Or find an old audio receiver with phono inputs, and then use the receiver's line level tape outputs to the EIE.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:47 am

Jobis wrote:Wow thank you Richie Witch! You really helped me out. I just ordered a pair.
Brace yourself for returning them.

I don't know about the AKAI EIE, but a lot of audio interfaces (e.g. Focusrite) have the xlr on the combo inputs dedicated to the microphone amplifier, while the ts/trs is switchable between line and instrument.

And outsidesys is right, you most probably need a phono preamp, not only for the line level, but the RIAA equalization as well.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:18 pm

But consider this....

The OP did not say he was getting insufficient sound level. From his post, it would seem that was just fine. The only thing he was having trouble with was getting a stereo (unsummed) signal in Ableton.

Since he's already got sufficient signal, why wouldn't a couple adapters work?

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Ok, Jobis did not say he was getting insufficient level, but I'm still in doubt about his chain.

What is
Jobis wrote:...to phono converted ...
and why would he need female RCA, unless he's using a device (either the TT or the preamp, I'd suspect the former) with fixed lead male RCA outs?

And then there's still a fat chance that the XLR inputs of the EIE aren't line but microphone level (and impedance). BTW Hosa's offering female RCA to male TS adapters: Amazon.com: Hosa Cable GPR101 RCA To 1/4 Inch TS Adaptor - 2 Pack: Musical Instruments

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:22 pm

You should be able to get a strong enough signal via the EIO's guitar inputs, but it will lack bass because of the RIAA pre-emphasis EQ curve used on vinyl recordings.

With a bit of research you could probably set up Lives EQ to implement the RIAA de-ephasis curve but on the other hand you can pick up a phono preamp on ebay for round about £15.

Edit:

You need an EQ curve like this to properly reproduce vinyl recordings

"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Jobis

Post by Jobis » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 pm

Hello again,
The plugs did the job really well, I just have one last question. The first record I tried converting was 'Let's Get It On' by Marvin Gaye. I noticed that it was clipping a bit in the audio track but not in the master. Is this something I should try to fix? I don't hear any distortion but I just want to make sure it's not affecting the sound in any way before I convert all of my records.