LIVE 9.2b1 Discuss....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adh82

Re: LIVE 9.2b1 Discuss....

Post by adh82 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:12 pm

So no one knows what that little black desktop unit is on the left of the picture????

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:17 pm

anyone have tried or could try to install it on xp/vista ?
it will be really nice to have these informations.

if i can install it and if it works i will upgrade to live 9 in the hour :D
so please share infos if you know and big thanks by advance

golemus

Post by golemus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:26 pm

TomViolenz wrote: he's just doing what you usually do: contentless bitching ;-)
Thanks for the compliment :D

Anyway my message did have a purpose, I am hoping that the engineers would notice this issue and repair it.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
ze2be wrote:Really stoked about 3rd party plugs and automation latency compensation!

Thank you thank you than you Ableton!!
Best DAW news this year for me!

This has been nr.1 on my list of concerns and wishes since Session automation. Its not just about my personal and likeminded needs, its also about Lives reputation. There is no way to deny that there are loads of producers avoiding Live solely for its roumoured muddy sound. I hear it on a regular basis as I collab with many and talk with hundreds of producers in my genre every year. I have even noticed DJs in some edm genres, like techno, using the term "Ableton Sound" for muddy sounding productions with sloppy timing. I know all the tricks to tighten it up, and I gently preach it as the senior Live-fan I am, but its nice to finally get this nailed and forgoten once and for all, isnt it.

No mentioning about the uncompensated latency on Sends though?
I must be crazy, but I notice a definite improvement in the quality of sounds, especially in some of the instrument racks... I don't know if this is the same thing, but I just checked the cello and the sound seems much improved. Weird, and I still can't quite believe it....

(One reason I purchased Sampletank 3 and Komplete was a perceived lack of sound quality in Live. I'll have to have more time with Live to be sure, but so far so good!).
I read in the update-related ableton.com article that they updated many presets' aftertouch, so I went to check a few Operator ones. Some did seem to sound much better, like they were tweaked further. I couldn't be bothered to compare to 9.1.7's same presets, so I put this perceived improvement down to placebo due to improved AT response. I never use those presets anyway, so how would I know? But since you've perceived this as well...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:54 pm

golemus wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: he's just doing what you usually do: contentless bitching ;-)
Thanks for the compliment :D

Anyway my message did have a purpose, I am hoping that the engineers would notice this issue and repair it.
oh sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought I made it clear that I agree with your complaints in my previous posts in this thread.

I was talking about eyeknow and pencil rocket

They are the...

...of the Live forums :mrgreen:

bengtfalke

Post by bengtfalke » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:16 pm

I have some problems with Omnisphere. It seems the GUI will not open sometimes with the beta. Has anybody else this problem too?

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I've had this happen before with normal versions also. With Trillian though.
So it's not new...don't remember ever making a bug report...Happend maybe 2/3 times before.

All in all, I'm very happy with the beta for now.
I started mixing a really big project, and can clearly hear a difference.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:29 pm

petit nuage wrote:
if my customer relationship with ableton, after more than 10 years, is temporaly ending(...until my next pc) on a version, because of this politic, please understand that it would be nice that it will be....AFTER...THAT CRUCIAL/ MAJOR VERSION...
While I agree with your and Tom's sentiment here I can only observe that Ableton certainly didn't have to support OS X 10.5 — maybe not 10.6 either (high support until Mavericks though) —  nor Windows XP even in april 2013. Native Instruments had already dropped support by then. I'm not sure about the status of other DAWs in at that time, but maybe others that know can chime in?

Given Ableton's IMHO stellar support for operating systems in 2013 I believe there are specific reasons why they dropped support now. I'm not sure what that can be though. But as I think was said earlier Apple is not paving the way for developers to keep supporting older OSes. Possible Microsoft is/was better in that regard for developers?
Make some music!

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Can't speak for the OSX side of things but Cakewalk dropped support for XP and Vista with the X3 release. IIRC the issue revolved around that the installation libraries had dropped support. I believe that some people got the Vista installation working but it was no longer supported.

I want to be sympathetic but honestly, when a manufacturer (MS in this case) stops support for an OS (XP in this case) I think it is unrealistic to expect independent software vendors to somehow continue supporting it.

Any word on when the actual 9.2 version will be released?
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:20 pm

thanks for your informations but why not just waiting until a live 9.4's version by exple (for a reasonnably stable xp/vista version) and after OK go !

plus IMO i find its not very fair to stop compatibility between two versions.
for me, its more logical for a the next generation of live, which start with LIVE 10 i think...

if i can install it, use it, and that it is relatively stable on xp it is cool for me :D
and it could help me, meanwhile, waiting live 10 and a new pc .

so please ableton (or someone) could you tell me more about dropping vs stopping compatibility ?
install and use is ok but not technical support for the specific os ?

or no way at all ?
Last edited by petit nuage on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:35 pm

The beta will install, but will NOT run on OSX.6, so I assume it will be the same with the unsupported Windows versions.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:53 pm

i hope not...but surely...

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:00 pm

adh82 wrote:So no one knows what that little black desktop unit is on the left of the picture????
SND Acme-4

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:49 am

re:dream wrote:What does dropping of support mean, practically? Does it mean it won't run on the system at all, or just that they won't deal with crashes, errors and fixes relating to the OS?
every month a list of OS security vulnerabilities and flaws is released. sometimes those flaws are with newer technologies or long time bugs. the security vulnerabilities are with back doors and susceptibility and speak to things like turning your computer into a bot as part of a botnet. when an OS maker drops support those weaknesses go unsupported, un-patched, and unresolved... but the list continues to grow. companies like Oracle/Java begin dropping support for their products too... so software that depends on those products in the no longer supported OS, to execute portions of their code or work in tandem, also lose support by proxy.

so, if Ableton have any issues with XP... they won't get any help from Microsoft or anyone else really. why bother?

and i'm of the camp that would not be surprised if something in the XP/Vista code contributed to or prolonged the PDC solution... and i believe that their efforts getting that portion of the code to work with those old operating systems (Snow Leopard included) would have only prolonged the changes... so, it might have been a Live 10 feature instead. so we got lucky they didn't make us wait... and pay for it in the 10 upgrade. they threw us a bone... a lot of companies would not have done the same.

one last thought on this... maybe another thing that's going on here is the phasing out of 32 bit operating systems.

Electric Blue Studios

Post by Electric Blue Studios » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:30 am

H20nly wrote:
re:dream wrote:What does dropping of support mean, practically? Does it mean it won't run on the system at all, or just that they won't deal with crashes, errors and fixes relating to the OS?
every month a list of OS security vulnerabilities and flaws is released. sometimes those flaws are with newer technologies or long time bugs. the security vulnerabilities are with back doors and susceptibility and speak to things like turning your computer into a bot as part of a botnet. when an OS maker drops support those weaknesses go unsupported, un-patched, and unresolved... but the list continues to grow. companies like Oracle/Java begin dropping support for their products too... so software that depends on those products in the no longer supported OS, to execute portions of their code or work in tandem, also lose support by proxy.

so, if Ableton have any issues with XP... they won't get any help from Microsoft or anyone else really. why bother?

and i'm of the camp that would not be surprised if something in the XP/Vista code contributed to or prolonged the PDC solution... and i believe that their efforts getting that portion of the code to work with those old operating systems (Snow Leopard included) would have only prolonged the changes... so, it might have been a Live 10 feature instead. so we got lucky they didn't make us wait... and pay for it in the 10 upgrade. they threw us a bone... a lot of companies would not have done the same.

one last thought on this... maybe another thing that's going on here is the phasing out of 32 bit operating systems.
well put.