LIVE 9.2b1 Discuss....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: LIVE 9.2b1 Discuss....

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm

BoddAH wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:I'm trying to remember the timeline and major features of 9.1.

I mostly recall dual monitor, and the step sequencer for melodies in Push. Am I missing anything else huge?

Also, Live 9 came out about two years ago? I don't want to anticipate a pattern because that always leads to false expectations haha. But so far it seems a major release pops up at about an annual interval.
That was until Live 8. Live 9 took about 4 years if I remember correctly. People started fearing Ableton was going belly up. Turned out they were just busy with Push. :lol:

Even Live 8 had some pretty significant updates, or at least I remember how surprising it was when they dropped Amp on us :P. I think there were a number of other freebies during Live 8's run.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Yeah. But the Live 8 release was a fiasco. Buggy and unstable; almost unusable for me for at least a year and Amp and Cabinet were pretty crappy as well, even if they were free. Overall a terrible version.

Live 9 was pretty solid though, pretty stable from day one, nice new features and especially Push was awesome. And still getting strong with continued updates and added features.

Thank you Ableton. :oops:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:43 pm

fistikuffs wrote:
Quez wrote:Great news.
The continued updates and improvements are welcome.

I would also blame dropping the support of OS X 10.5 & 10.6 on Apple. It's time they stop it with the yearly OS instalments.
I'd think that's fair when you consider that they are still supporting XP, a 14 year old OS!
except that they dropped that too ;-)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:56 pm

You cant expect app developers to support an OS that the OS developers don't support.

Apple no longer support 10.6
Apple on Tuesday made it clear that it will no longer patch OS X 10.6, aka Snow Leopard, when it again declined to offer a security update for the four-and-a-half-year-old operating system
Microsoft no longer support XP
Microsoft provided support for Windows XP for the past 12 years. But the time came for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences. As a result, technical assistance for Windows XP is no longer available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Apple wouldn’t even let you purchase (scanned your system before you tried to buy) or install Logic Pro X if you weren’t on Mavericks and that’s when Mavericks was the newest and current OS.

Sooner or later they’ll probably add new features that requires you to be on Yosemite.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Market fragmentation is bad for everyone. It’s obviously bad for the developers because they have to provide support for a shit ton of different OS versions and it’s also bad for the customers precisely because it’s much more difficult for developers to deliver a quality product that works flawlessly on many different setups.

That’s why Apple provides a strong incentive to always update to the latest OS via free OS X releases! Once many (most) people update, developers have no choice but to make all their VST, drivers and hardware compatible with the latest version as well and everybody’s happy really.

Microsoft can’t pull that shit off obviously because of businesses who don’t have the resources/time/money to upgrade a few hundred licenses of MS Office and Windows every year.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:11 pm

I asked for a tuner in 2006 (Live 5):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39922&hilit=+tuner

No wonder they are so proud of it....:)
Sheesh! I hope the don't wait this long to fix the APC Mini and Key 25

golemus

Post by golemus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:18 pm

I did some initial tests. I did not test the automation latency compensation but I just tested the feature that annoys me the most: sluggishness with project that has a lot of VST plugins (and load / unload times).

Unfortunately it seems that virtually nothing has improved in this issue. I created exactly the same project with Live 9.1.4 and 9.2b1, both 64-bit versions. When I have an 80 track project (each track has Massive, Pro-Q, Volcano, Timeless and Zebrify), and I delete a track, it takes about 7 seconds of waiting for deletion from pressing the delete button. After pressing the "close ableton live button" I have to wait and stare the loading mouse pointer for whopping 170 seconds before Live actually closes. (machine is i7 3770k, 8GB RAM, SSD)

It felt though that loading VST plugins might be a bit snappier than it was before. I am not sure though..

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:23 pm

golemus wrote:I did some initial tests. I did not test the automation latency compensation but I just tested the feature that annoys me the most: sluggishness with project that has a lot of VST plugins (and load / unload times).

Unfortunately it seems that virtually nothing has improved in this issue. I created exactly the same project with Live 9.1.4 and 9.2b1, both 64-bit versions. When I have an 80 track project (each track has Massive, Pro-Q, Volcano, Timeless and Zebrify), and I delete a track, it takes about 7 seconds of waiting for deletion from pressing the delete button. After pressing the "close ableton live button" I have to wait and stare the loading mouse pointer for whopping 170 seconds before Live actually closes. (machine is i7 3770k, 8GB RAM, SSD)

It felt though that loading VST plugins might be a bit snappier than it was before. I am not sure though..

Good to meet somebody else who also doesn't believe in the proven "less is more" philosophy. Stack on, brother.

ash1

Post by ash1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:45 pm

80 tracks and effects blimey :D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:59 pm

golemus wrote:I did some initial tests. I did not test the automation latency compensation but I just tested the feature that annoys me the most: sluggishness with project that has a lot of VST plugins (and load / unload times).

I observe similar behavior in similar circumstances. :(
The weirdest thing is sending Midi commands and hearing them a good 5 seconds before the GUI updates the macro!
All in all feels quite unstable.
Has me a little worried for Live situations.

And with all the routing, subrouting, busing etc. 80+ tracks is a lot easier to get to than one thinks. ;-)
Last edited by TomViolenz on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:02 am

golemus wrote:I did some initial tests... I have an 80 track project (each track has Massive, Pro-Q, Volcano, Timeless and Zebrify)
This is a real-world scenario for you?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

dsu

Post by dsu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:48 am

Just read the thread to this point.
As one of these folks with Windows 7 and experiencing frequent M$L crashes, I was very disappointed to find this problem is NOT fixed in the beta.

adh82

Post by adh82 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:18 am

Does anyone know what the little black desktop unit is on the left of the picture for the. Update?
Even the coloured one on the right?

Cheers,
A

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:23 am

n/m
Last edited by eyeknow on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.