LIVE 9.2b1 Discuss....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: LIVE 9.2b1 Discuss....

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:15 pm

That tuner could be nice in conjunction with sampler or operator for those moments when things get out of control :P (although admittedly, some sounds are just really difficult for a tuner to make sense of haha)

I like the modwheel addition. I feel a mod would be far more useful in my general use than a pitchbend.

It is tuesday. I want a beer.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:32 pm

the 32 bit version (Win 7) sure loads faster than previous versions. Dunno why that is, but I LIKE it.

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:39 pm

tedlogan wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:They still don't even include our community mapping, even though we offered for them to include it without even asking and implementing it would be trivial :x
That does seem a bit stubborn, yes. It is far superior to the default Live devices mapping.

Oh well, at least it's working, even though not official.
Have you tested it with the new beta Ted? Hopefully Ubermap is still working too

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:50 pm

No, not yet as I'm at work unfortunately. I guess it should still work fine. Gonna find out tonight.

Patrick_Lindsey

Post by Patrick_Lindsey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:51 pm

what I can confirm so far the PDC is working totally fine!! .. I loaded a lot of hungry VST's from Fabfilter Q and a lot of UAD stuff .. it's stable :)))

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:51 pm

tedlogan wrote:No, not yet as I'm at work unfortunately. I guess it should still work fine. Gonna find out tonight.
Let's see who get's there first!!

NB: I have kids so if you don't then you'll be first :)

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:55 pm

I love those changes, especially the (long overdue and pretty straightforward) changes to Push.

The Tuner is nice I guess, no more using the Spectrum effect.

Improved beat detection and technical update to Complex and Complex Pro warping is awesome. I’ll have to hear this for myself but Live has always been about manipulating audio and warping and old technology in that regard is a clear no-go. Complex and Complex Pro could be just awesome and fresh sounding and the other classic modes remain to make old school Lo-Fi guys happy. Perfect.

Pitch wheel/Mod wheel toggle for Push is a no brainer. I’m surprised it took this long.

Shift + encoder for finer adjustments and the Delete + encoder parameter reset in Push is awesome as well. For some parameters the crude standard resolution of the encoders just didn’t cut it and I can’t count the number of times I ruined a good patch beyond being musically useful and having to reload the entire patch just for it to sound decent again. It’s also great to reset faders and whatnot.

Overall a great update. I’m glad that Ableton keep adding small but incredibly useful features and making the software more solid and refined overall with free updates instead of going overboard and rushing Live 10.

mai

Post by mai » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:08 pm

tedlogan wrote:I don't see modwheel as a minor update though - it's a vital part of synth performance for many...
The rest of the Push additions are all updates many people including myself have been asking for. The resetting of parameters from Push is very welcome, for example.

I agree that it took a damn long time, and I became very frustrated by the lack of communication from Ableton, but at least things are rolling again.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm very happy that something is happen. But I really like to use Push (after waiting so long) as a mouse-free controller (for me it isn't). And I would also pay for it. If Ableton would have announced AL10 with all the missing features, I would be much more happy.

And you're right, the new additions are very useful - but not for being mouse-free (at least not in my case)...
tedlogan wrote:PDC fixed - people have been clamouring for this for years - it is a big deal (though you did mention Push features).
Seems like I'm blind. What ist that "PDC" everyone is talking about?

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:20 pm

mai wrote: Seems like I'm blind. What ist that "PDC" everyone is talking about?
Plugin Delay Compensation. Some plugins (particularly some third party plugins) induce a small amount of delay into the audio signal. To compensate for this the DAW has to add the same delay to every other track in your project. There has been a problem with how Live acomplashes this, particularly in regards to automation. It's been an issue for a good few years now.

From what I can gather it only really affects a small number of users, but they have been very vocal about it on the forums.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:23 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:it only really affects a small number of users, but they have been very vocal about it
Welcome to the Internet!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:24 pm

BoddAH wrote:Shift + encoder for finer adjustments and the Delete + encoder parameter reset in Push is awesome as well. For some parameters the crude standard resolution of the encoders just didn’t cut it and I can’t count the number of times I ruined a good patch beyond being musically useful and having to reload the entire patch just for it to sound decent again. It’s also great to reset faders and whatnot.
heh, tell me about it. Really glad this has finally made it in as well.
fistikuffs wrote:
tedlogan wrote:No, not yet as I'm at work unfortunately. I guess it should still work fine. Gonna find out tonight.
Let's see who get's there first!!

NB: I have kids so if you don't then you'll be first :)
hah - no kids :)...but I will need to re-download 9.2b1 from the site as my old beta is still on 9.1.4, and totally jammed for some reason...

mai wrote:Seems like I'm blind. What ist that "PDC" everyone is talking about?
Plugin Delay Compensation. In a nutshell, VSTs' audio/automations would be out of sync with Live, being delayed by some milliseconds. It varies depending on certain factors. I've never really investigated it. There are some YouTube videos demonstrating this issue in great detail. There's one from SadowickProductions that gives you a pretty clear picture, I don't have the link at hand, but should be easy to find.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:27 pm

This is a pretty dope update, really. Most of my major gripes are resolved now. I'd still like to see note auditioning in the step sequencer of Push. I mainly just use the step sequencer for step automation as it stands now. Doesn't bother me too much since I'm not really bothered by using a computer screen. Remember when we wanted the screens on our sequencers/digital synths/samplers to be bigger and then computers became really useful and we got what we wanted but now we are sick of computer screens and want to go back to those little 4 line LCD screens? :lol:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Some good, intriguing, and very welcome updates in there, and some strange and bad omissions.

THE GOOD
the PDC fixes were obviously tricky to pull off (because it took so many years) but I'm glad that beast has been lain to rest. The Tuner, it's one of those useful little things and although I just used to use the one in GuitarRig I'm happy to eliminate a step in my process.
Regarding "improved the sound of Complex and Complex Pro Warp modes" of course those Elastique libraries come licensed from Zplane but it's nice to have the updates. Some of Ableton's other 3rd party tie-ins haven't proceeded so smoothly. I'm glaring at YOU AAS, with your crunchy envelope->filter parameter, broken since Live 8.2

INTRIGUING
"Live Sets that contain Max for Live devices or third-party plug-ins now have lower latency." so, max devices or VSTs now have lower latency. What does this mean in theory and practice. Lower latency is always good, it's not sexy, but it's very good. A lot of my awful crunchy audio problems with L9 have come from Ableton's work in these areas delivering unexpected glitches. Hopefully this fixes some of my problems and doesn't bring any new ones. Some other stuff in the list may have benefits for me EG: crashes when deleting Max devices from a set, for example. I can only hope.

THE BAD
I don't see any mention of a fix to the crash 4 times when trying to start bug. A shame. That's really annoying.
I really hoped by this point they would give me a simple OPTION of a snap to grid. Like in the olden days of Live 8. Snap to grid, alt drag to move off grid.
I really hoped they would do something at all to fix the abortion of the L9 browser. It actively hinders me from finding my sounds and from making music. If I save my patches they all have to be titled "Angstro_basspatchwhatever" and when I search I have to open folders to find patch that as a search-result. The top half of the browser is like an insane neighbour which behaves plain weirdly and tries to put me off making music. Not fit for purpose and causing people to do all sorts of hacks to get it to do what they want (Cue: "hey simply save all your patches starting with an underscore and ignore the top half of the browser, write some XML" etc. )

so in summary there are some nice fixes that have been waiting for a looooong time, but for the crash fixes and the functions I wanted to see return from Live 8. No joy.

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Has MIDI latency when playing into a MIDI track with monitoring set to IN or AUTO been fixed yet?

I haven't bothered to upgrade to 9 because of this.
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:51 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:This is a pretty dope update, really. Most of my major gripes are resolved now. I'd still like to see note auditioning in the step sequencer of Push. I mainly just use the step sequencer for step automation as it stands now. Doesn't bother me too much since I'm not really bothered by using a computer screen. Remember when we wanted the screens on our sequencers/digital synths/samplers to be bigger and then computers became really useful and we got what we wanted but now we are sick of computer screens and want to go back to those little 4 line LCD screens? :lol:
Definitely need note auditioning.

So true about screens :)

Until very recently, I gave in to the mouse and screen as I decided it was plain silly to try and pretend it's not there, but I've since made a U-turn on that mindset (unless I'm building synth patches from scratch). Even though a lot of things might be slower using just Push, I've found that for me it's completely besides the point as a hobbyist. I just feel more involved in the creation of stuff now, and the whole process sure is a lot more enjoyable with Push than with a mouse.

Angstrom wrote: THE BAD
I really hoped they would do something at all to fix the abortion of the L9 browser. It actively hinders me from finding my sounds and from making music. If I save my patches they all have to be titled "Angstro_basspatchwhatever" and when I search I have to open folders to find patch that as a search-result. The top half of the browser is like an insane neighbour which behaves plain weirdly and tries to put me off making music. Not fit for purpose and causing people to do all sorts of hacks to get it to do what they want (Cue: "hey simply save all your patches starting with an underscore and ignore the top half of the browser, write some XML" etc.
I used to employ that workaround with the underscore so they'd turn up first on Push. Yes, it sucks, and I've long since abandoned it. At least shortcuts in Places works OK when browsing your own racked VSTs from Push.

The browser needs work ala tagging etc.