LIVE 9.2b1 Discuss....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: LIVE 9.2b1 Discuss....

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:17 pm

golemus wrote:
H20nly wrote:
golemus wrote:Well it should not be this slow. I recorded this behavior on video and put it to Youtube. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZrSnEvsNSE
is that a radiator behind your monitor? clearly, this is an overheating issue.
I think overheating did cause me some other problems before (more glitches in audio that there would be normally), but they are not related to this issue. Anyway, after cleaning the fan and making sure that there is no obstructions, my CPU temps are again at 70-75 celcius region. It is a bit too hot, but it shouldnt start throttling yet at that temp I guess, I am sure that most of other quad core laptops also have temps in that region :)

And if somebody didn't see your last two lines of text, lets just state that the radiator is a bit too far away to affect the operation of the computer ;D
that processor you have is a beast. i'm not surprised it gets that hot. what i am surprised about is that you get the performance you do... i have to admit, i think your track count is really high, but page after page of examples have popped up that all imply you're not alone in workflow, but you are in issue. that implies something else is to blame.

i think you said that you turned off Antivirus in your video, but if you leave it on, make sure you turn off any settings for 'scan on [file] creation'. one of the more ridiculous Antivirus "features" IMO.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 pm

golemus wrote: Well it should not be this slow. I recorded this behavior on video and put it to Youtube. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZrSnEvsNSE
OK, I see what you mean. I don't recognize this exact behavior from OS X 10.10 on a Macbook Pro 2014 with about 50 tracks. I do recognize some GUI sluggishness, but that's on my older MacBook pro from 2007 with Mavericks and not many tracks at all.

I'm not sure what to expect from a Levono, but most Windows users I know don't use laptops. Have you tried a similar project in another DAW?
Make some music!

Tagor

Re: LIVE 9.2b2 Discuss....

Post by Tagor » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:19 pm

irrelevance wrote:This is a very big point release and step in the right direction. Phew! 8) :arrow: Not updating until I know it's stable and works 100% with pxt/plus though.
PXT-Live is not showing up in 9.2b2:(
Omnisphere always showing : Latency 0 Samples
The Touchstrip does what he should.
The big Drumrack-mode is nice too.

NOW what we really NEED are the ClyphX commands to switch between the Modes.

when in Session-View i trigger the scene with my Guitar-Solo, it should bring up the notemode
and also leave the notemode when the clip is finished or when i trigger via apc another scene.

will we see this kind of remotecontrol of the different push-modes soon?

i already hacked me thru ClyphX and started in sake of the user-scales python, but i really
like to make sounds, and that the reason why i not start to learn useraction-programming in
ClyphX&Python. I am not a hacker.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:11 am

On the subject of huge track counts, I rarely use more than 30 tracks but then ... each of my tracks has racks containing racks of chains. If 20 of my tracks has 5 chains, plus another 3 drumracks (eg multimic kits) with 20 drums each with 5 sub racks then I've also got rather a lot of tracks on my hands. Just laid out differently. In that example I could think of the 30 track count being more like (20 x 5) + (3x(20x5) = 400

It's all CPU usage whichever way you organise your objects.

golemus

Post by golemus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:37 am

Stromkraft wrote:
golemus wrote: Well it should not be this slow. I recorded this behavior on video and put it to Youtube. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZrSnEvsNSE
OK, I see what you mean. I don't recognize this exact behavior from OS X 10.10 on a Macbook Pro 2014 with about 50 tracks. I do recognize some GUI sluggishness, but that's on my older MacBook pro from 2007 with Mavericks and not many tracks at all.
interesting. I was thinking that is it better on OS X...

Are you using AU plugins, VST or both..?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:09 am

Has anyone A/B tested the new Complex and Complex Pro warping? How does it sound? Is there much audible improvement?

OSX Snow Leopard-sitter here... :mrgreen:
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

golemus

Post by golemus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:22 am

I didnt find the message but somebody asked if I had done the same project with other DAW.

First of all I apologize, the 80 track test I did may have been affected by the fact that I have 8GB of RAM on this computer (the plugs I used in this test are more RAM hogs). But the test in youtube is with 16GB RAM machine and there it is not a bottleneck.

Anyway I did the test again, with 40 track project, each has Massive, Fabfilter Volcano, Fabfilter Timeless and Zebrify. The sluggishness is still there, although not as bad as with 80 tracks (it grows with plugin count). With this project RAM should be not bottlenecking..

Then I did the exactly same project with FL Studio 32-bit (although Live is 64 bit, but previous tests I did show about equal almount of delays with 32 and 64 bit versions).

With this project in Ableton it takes about 2 seconds to delete any single track or plugin from the project.

In FL Studio deletion happens nearly instantaneously. Although FL studio does not have undo (maybe it is partial explanation of the sluggishness...?)

Also FL studio opens the project in 8 seconds and closes it in less than 1 second. Ableton opens in 18 seconds and it last 28 seconds for it to close the project.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:27 am

golemus wrote:In FL Studio deletion happens nearly instantaneously. Although FL studio does not have undo (maybe it is partial explanation of the sluggishness...?)
it could contribute, but only after you've had the set open a while and made several changes. like most programs, your undo history in Live goes away when you save.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:10 am

Do you use both arrangement and session view? Does it have the same behavior of you have only one 'scene' in session view?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:24 am

Pitch Black wrote:Has anyone A/B tested the new Complex and Complex Pro warping? How does it sound? Is there much audible improvement?

OSX Snow Leopard-sitter here... :mrgreen:
It's very slight IMO, about 9 out of ten times I find it helps preserve the transients a teeny bit more. 1 out of 10 the old one sounds a little better.

A good improvement, but nothing huge.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:15 am

Thanks Erik! :)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:42 am

Really stoked about 3rd party plugs and automation latency compensation!

Thank you thank you than you Ableton!!
Best DAW news this year for me!

This has been nr.1 on my list of concerns and wishes since Session automation. Its not just about my personal and likeminded needs, its also about Lives reputation. There is no way to deny that there are loads of producers avoiding Live solely for its roumoured muddy sound. I hear it on a regular basis as I collab with many and talk with hundreds of producers in my genre every year. I have even noticed DJs in some edm genres, like techno, using the term "Ableton Sound" for muddy sounding productions with sloppy timing. I know all the tricks to tighten it up, and I gently preach it as the senior Live-fan I am, but its nice to finally get this nailed and forgoten once and for all, isnt it.

No mentioning about the uncompensated latency on Sends though?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:47 am

golemus wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
interesting. I was thinking that is it better on OS X...

Are you using AU plugins, VST or both..?
At the moment I think it's only VSTs, but could be a few AUs too. Overall, VSTs are more useful in Live.

I forgot to say that I do recognize opening and saving, loading and delering stuff takes a little longer than I'd want. On the 2014 MacBook Pro it's bearable (10-15 sec for projects) and on my 2007 MacBook Pro it's a PITA (well over 30 seconds).
Make some music!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:02 am

golemus wrote:In FL Studio deletion happens nearly instantaneously. Although FL studio does not have undo (maybe it is partial explanation of the sluggishness...?)

Also FL studio opens the project in 8 seconds and closes it in less than 1 second. Ableton opens in 18 seconds and it last 28 seconds for it to close the project.
Interesting. I'm curious to know if other sequencer such as DP, Cubase, Sonar, Logic also suffer from the UNDO sluggishness.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:10 am

FL should be copied..........all stop.

:roll:

Fine, but then I have to ask......why not just use FL?