kick layering questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SouthSideSamurai

kick layering questions

Post by SouthSideSamurai » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Hey guys, been working on some kick layering and not sure how much low end to take out of the high kick. Is there a certain range to aim for? Also I am using an eq 8 to take out the low end and am not sure if it would be better to go with an auto filter. If anyone can help shed some light on this that would be greatly appreciated.

Richie Witch

Re: kick layering questions

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:10 pm

If you're putting those kick samples in a drum rack, there is a built-in filter on each sample. Look in the lower-left corner of the sample window for the filter button. Once that is enabled, you have a selection of filters, along with frequency and resonance knobs.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

LithiuMind

Re: kick layering questions

Post by LithiuMind » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Look up differences between linear phase and minimum phase EQs. Try using linear phase eqs for sub cuts, as these will not alter the phase relationships in your kick.

A rule of thumb test I use is when a track is fully mastered, the sub frequencies should be kicking somewhere in the range of -18 to -12... dependant on how heavy the track is. I test this by putting a pair of EQ8s in sequence on the master, each with a -12db lowpass filter on at around 30hz.

For shaping kicks NI Massive Passive is the coolest sounding plug i've found so far, for smoothly boosting and cutting frequencies on a kick.

Try checking tracks you want to emulate using a plugin called Voxengo Span and look up how to calibrate it for Pink Noise. Use a high number of bins (16k plus) so you get a super accurate image of what's happening... you should see all the frequencies aligned in pretty even horizontal value... A really brickwalled track will be almost flat, a scooped track will show you a big smiley face curve, and a well balanced track will still have a good amount of energy and a balance between all frequencies without being flat.

With this plugin it's easy to compare to tracks that have the sub weight you're aiming for. If your sub is too heavy you will see that your whole frequency curve is slanted with the sub dominating. Note that this even-ness is only going to work if you have tuned the Span plugin to emulate a pink noise curve. The key parameter is the slope control. I forget where it should be set, but there are discussions of this online.

Besides that...with EQ8, general rules... don't use -48 db highpass filters because they'll make your shit sound like a tin can, and if you are boosting or pulling with notches +/-3 db should be enough, and break these rules if you feel like it. If you need more than a pair of EQ8 -12db high passes then your kick is probably too subby and needs something else with more punch/high freq energy to even it out.

EQ your bass and kick sympathetically (ie. cut where you boost, boost where you cut. but subtlety is key here... use +/-3db as a rule of thumb)