MIDI Keyboard Latency?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GimpyGuy

MIDI Keyboard Latency?

Post by GimpyGuy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Hey there, I've just started using Ableton Live 9 and I noticed that there is no "on-screen MIDI keyboard" (which is fine).

However, I've also noticed that there is a very long (30ms~) delay (or latency) when playing notes with my computer keyboard.

Can someone explain how to reduce this latency? (whether it's through getting different equipment or upgrading my PC).

I've tried looking through the forum's search engine for a thread related to this problem, but was unable to find one.

If you need my computer specs, let me know and it will be provided.

If it's not possible, please let me know.

All help is appreciated!

savyurrecords

Re: MIDI Keyboard Latency?

Post by savyurrecords » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:54 pm

You probably are using your built in sound interface I assume. You will want to buy an audio interface. There are many out there.

In the meantime download ASIO FOR ALL and use that as your driver.

No matter what there will always be some latency but you should be able to get it to where it is playable (typically less than 10ms)

GimpyGuy

Re: MIDI Keyboard Latency?

Post by GimpyGuy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:30 pm

savyurrecords wrote:You probably are using your built in sound interface I assume. You will want to buy an audio interface. There are many out there.

In the meantime download ASIO FOR ALL and use that as your driver.

No matter what there will always be some latency but you should be able to get it to where it is playable (typically less than 10ms)
Wow. Just wow. That was the quickest solution I've ever gotten.

Yeah, ASIO works great and the latency is almost unnoticeable.

Thank you very much!