Import Kontakt patches best practices

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Import Kontakt patches best practices

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:19 pm

When I try to import the Kontakt 5.4.3 factory patches into the Sampler instrument in Live 9.1.7 by dragging from the Finder, it hangs at "preparing import".

That this is supposed to be possible is touched upon in the Live manual in section 24.7.11 Importing Third-Party Multisamples:
"To import Apple EXS24/GarageBand and Kontakt multisamples, Live will create new Sampler presets that reference the original WAV or AIF files. "
Have you been more successful importing Kontakt libraries? What method worked best for you?

My end objective is to speed up import of Battery multilayered samples into Sampler, by opening them in Kontakt and resaving as a Kontakt patch.

I think I did test previously in 9.0 and that import worked fine then. Perhaps I should even attempt the import in Live 8?

Suggestions?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Re: Import Kontakt patches best practices

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 pm

OK, it would seem the factory patches of Kontakt are encrypted since version 4 and that Native Instrument changed the Kontakt file format with v4.2.2. That would explain why also my own creations won't import. I probably knew this before and forgot. Back to the planning board.
Make some music!

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:24 pm

That's disappointing having just learned of this. :(

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:35 am

In the end I simply accepted I need to use the Battery raw one-off samples in my drum rack Sampler 128s. And for layered velocity crossfaded samples I have to do some work replicating or making my own layers.

Typically, in songs I velocity layer samples even as I use the 128s as a tool for finding the samples I want to use. Because I use 128s banks that fastest way is to use Instruments racks with velocity crossfades. While that will use more resources the flexibility and speed hopefully weighs this up.

I strive to not over-complicate setup, but it does take some work to get the results I want.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:39 am

LFO8 wrote: No luck importing .nki files into Ableton's Sampler either, but it does import Logic's EXS-24 patches. Some of those are a real pain in the ass to import though, because it will keep asking for you to locate sample such and such. Importing EXS-24 patches in to Kontakt seems to go quite well.
I have the Logic 8 library left since before on an external HD, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort importing those patches and loops. With Live Suite and Komplete 9 plus a few third party libraries I have thousands of drum samples already. And on top of that I have Operator, Tremor, Reaktor and FM-8 as drum sound sources.

All I need is some organization.
Make some music!