Is Ableton a long term investment ? I am asking because --

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nutrinoland

Is Ableton a long term investment ? I am asking because --

Post by Nutrinoland » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:10 am

Is Ableton a long term investment ? I am asking because of their licencing policy. I am concerned about upgrading computers, Formatting hard drive (on a windows machine) and situations like that. I format My hard drive, atleast twice every year and get a new computer every 3-4 years. I really do not want to have to purchase an expensive software like Ableton every few years. In that case I would rather use a Pirated version which amounts to less hassles . What do You guys do about this ? what does Ableton say about this? is two authorizations enough ? almost everybody that buys Ableton would like to think that they have invested for the long term. Also almost everyone will upgrade their computer or format their hard drive several times. Please share Your ideas, as I am confused and do not know if I should spend My Money on buying the software (although I would really like to). Thanks

Airyck

Re: Is Ableton a long term investment ? I am asking because --

Post by Airyck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:02 am

You can re-install Ableton as many times as you need on any computer you upgrade to. I've never had Ableton limit the amount of times I've been able to install it. The only time you'll need to pay more money is if you want to upgrade to the newest version, for example moving from Live 9 to Live 10 (whenever it comes out). Though I think thats been like 3-4 year schedule and you get a discount when you upgrade if you own the old one. You can keep using your old version for as long as your computer supports it though. It's definitely worth purchasing.'
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:49 am

Nutrinoland wrote: Also almost everyone will upgrade their computer or format their hard drive several times. Please share Your ideas, as I am confused and do not know if I should spend My Money on buying the software (although I would really like to). Thanks
Mac users typically clone their old drive and are done about it. Licensing stays with that operation. I never reformat my drive after I start using it.

You can move your license between different machines. You just can have 2 licensed installations at one time. You're never stuck with those. Owning Live is so much better than using a pirated version and is much less hassle actually.
Make some music!

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:40 pm

I've changed computers/hardware numerous times in the past few years and have probably done done 4-5 installs, once on a separate laptop, and the other 3-4 times on the same desktop, just with rebuilt/updated components. Definitely never had a problem here.