kick drum eq question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SouthSideSamurai

kick drum eq question

Post by SouthSideSamurai » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:39 am

Hey guys, when equing a kick drum does anyone know the rule in taking out the skinny frequency around the middle? This might not be the best way to describe it, but if anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Stromkraft

Re: kick drum eq question

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:32 pm

SouthSideSamurai wrote:Hey guys, when equing a kick drum does anyone know the rule in taking out the skinny frequency around the middle? This might not be the best way to describe it, but if anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

The only rule I know of is making a band pass with a narrow Q at maybe 7-13dB amplification and moving it to the area where the frequency you want to affect is while listening, adjust the Q and turn down the amplification so it becomes a notch filter instead. Adjust the Q again and make A/B comparison.

I might need to do that several times for multiple frequencies. For getting at known overtones without hitting them all manually a comb filter might do the trick.
Make some music!

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 pm

yeah - check out "audition mode" in eq8 (live9). it lets you find pesky frequencies that you can reduce with a high q settings. this should let you boost the overall level or of that part of the freq range.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Depending on the style you're after (which could mean this is the complete opposite to what you want!), a very common approach to kick drums to take out some of the low mids.

The part I think you're asking after is the 100-400hz area - I often take a lot out of there. Have a read about the old Pultec kcik drum EQ trick where you would boost and cut the same frequency in the lows - it would create a specific type of EQ curve that people liked, basically it was boosting around the fundamental of the kick but dips out the low mids. I suppose it's letting the thud and the click dominate and getting rid of the flab.

Experiment with fairly narrow Qs, typically 4-6 db cut and move around to see which is the horrible area.

As someone said, using the audition feature you can really hone in on what you're taking out - but remember to listen to it in the context of the mix too! Moi importante!

SouthSideSamurai

Post by SouthSideSamurai » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 am

stevemac wrote:swishniak
swishniak wrote:yeah - check out "audition mode" in eq8 (live9). it lets you find pesky frequencies that you can reduce with a high q settings. this should let you boost the overall level or of that part of the freq range.
This helped alot, thanks!!