APC Mini Opinions? or APC20?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cabletone

APC Mini Opinions? or APC20?

Post by cabletone » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:46 pm

I could use some opinions. The APC Mini seems like it could fit my needs well.

I read reviews of the APC Mini that said you can't change banks--is this still true?

This would be to launch clips, and attach faders to velocity plugins for a set template that I use.

I would need to edit the controllers so that they would control plugins instead of the mix faders, would I need to edit the script for this? Or is there another way to edit what the controllers send out?

Buleriachk

Re: APC Mini Opinions? or APC20?

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:05 am

Neither the APC Mini or the APC Key 25 implements "Session Overview"; so you can't change banks as on the Launchpad, the APC20/40 or the Launchpad and the new Launchpad Pro. That lack of design functionality (it is a software issue) has to be the dumbest design/marketing decision by Akai/Ableton, and limits the usefulness of the devices to just beginners who stay within the 1st bank).

That said, If session overview were to be implemented, both the Mini and the Key would be incredibly useful to me (I organize my sets in banks, using both Push and the APC40). Both units are highly portable and configurable, and work very well indeed.

(That is why lack of Session Overview is so damned frustrating!! And editing the Remote Script would be so EASY with someone familiar with the code and Python. I would do it, but I'm 74 now, and don't have time to reverse engineer it (I have looked at the code), other than to notice that the code for the Mini is derived from the Key 25, but ignores the differences in matrix configuration, so all you get is incremental movement by track/scene).

(As far as changing controller functions, it is easy to do using the Midi capabilities of Ableton, (and Clyphx, if you need it)...

Tom's problem is more complex and specific to his workflow; I'll let him explain it.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:58 am

I would wait for the Launchpad Pro.... and t/s verified that it has
session Overview (like always)....

midiscripts

Post by midiscripts » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:05 am

Buleriachk wrote:That said, If session overview were to be implemented, both the Mini and the Key would be incredibly useful to me (I organize my sets in banks, using both Push and the APC40). Both units are highly portable and configurable, and work very well indeed.
I struggled with lack of Session Overview in my APC Mini as well.
There is a solution (custom Python script):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uriX6qaw72M