Summing with track groups vs return tracks vs regular tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hyperscientist

Summing with track groups vs return tracks vs regular tracks

Post by hyperscientist » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:20 pm

I see three basic ways of mixing multiple tracks into one:
  1. 1. Grouping tracks
    2. Sending to return tracks
    3. Outputting audio to regular audio tracks
Return tracks seem to be most flexible, but groups are more visually obvious and easy to use. And option #3 may only be there for MIDI recording purposes (and similar). Am I thinking right?

I understand that it's mostly a matter of preference, but I would like to hear what do you think about each option. I doubt it, but maybe there are differences regarding cpu performance or sound quality?
Last edited by hyperscientist on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

re:dream

Re: Summing with track groups vs return tracks vs regular tracks

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:40 pm

I would like to know more about how Live handles these options

Recently I had started recording return tracks into a new audio track. This is to print stems.

And sometimes the recorded audio track does not sound at all like the return track. I can't figure out why.

hyperscientist

Post by hyperscientist » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm

I am exploring those concepts on my own, did some reading etc. And I see quite clearly how I would use groups as opposed to sending to return tracks. I mean.. I could use return tracks for everything, but I see how groups make certain things a bit nicer to work with. And sending to regular tracks is simply useful as a tool for recording them.

I'm pretty much good right now, thanks :)

@re:dream, possibly you could find your answers where I found them. Check out Introduction to Music Production on Coursera and specifically lesson/week 3: "The Mixer".

https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:10 pm

hyperscientist wrote:option #3 may only be there for MIDI recording purposes (and similar). Am I thinking right?
I don't understand that remark. Outputting audio "to regular audio tracks" is the normal way to do it. It's called "using a buss". It's more flexible than grouping as you can send any number of tracks anywhere to the same buss.

I buss all drums normally to the same buss and I also buss other instruments that I think constitute a whole "part" in my song. That way I can set internal levels once within that part, do treatments for this in one place and control volume fades and so on.

In concept Grouping is just a way to send audio to a buss as the group track acts like a buss. It's just the visual layout that is different as well as the group track can be MIDI. Rack tracks are always MIDI tracks.

To me sends to return tracks feel a bit awkward as solution for summing, but it's certainly acceptable.
Make some music!