Fast sample auditioning in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fossiel

Fast sample auditioning in Live

Post by Fossiel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:20 am

I know it has been asked a couple of times, but maybe someone has found a way to do this by now. All I want is to browse all of my samples superfast (preferably within drumracks) with the turn of a button. No 128's, no hotswapping, no mouseclicks or screenstaring involved.

Latin: aud?tus the sense or act of hearing

Something like this:
http://youtu.be/lSuFK5_iUew?t=4m30s

Is there any Maxdevice to help out on this?

My workflow at the moment:
- drumrack with couple of samples that work
- using Resonic Alpha next to it, to browse my hd for stuff http://resonic.at/
- click and drag a sample into drumrack

It simply is a moodkiller at the moment...

If there's not going to be a fine solution anytime soon, I will probably sell my push & live and go for bitwig & maschine.

Garry Knight

Re: Fast sample auditioning in Live

Post by Garry Knight » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 pm

I just play a sample in the browser then arrow down to hear the next one, and the next... Pretty quick.
Garry Knight

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:44 pm

Fossiel wrote:I know it has been asked a couple of times, but maybe someone has found a way to do this by now. All I want is to browse all of my samples superfast (preferably within drumracks) with the turn of a button. No 128's,
I don't get it. First you describe exactly what 128s do and then you say No 128s

does not compute... :?

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:07 am

In 128's I normally drop a sampler on every drumrackpad, so this could result in a 128 pads with 128 samples each. This is a lot, but it still requires a bit of preparation. If there's a way to browse my samplefolders with no limitations, this would speed up the process a lot.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:40 am

Fossiel wrote:In 128's I normally drop a sampler on every drumrackpad, so this could result in a 128 pads with 128 samples each. This is a lot, but it still requires a bit of preparation. If there's a way to browse my samplefolders with no limitations, this would speed up the process a lot.
16 000 samples, huh? :lol:

No but anyways, I think the 128 workflow is the closest you can come to "Within DrumRacks, with the turn of a knob, while your Midi loop is playing"

Maybe you should consider also some of the randomization options from clyphx or M4L. Then you wouldn't have to keep turning knobs, but could just lean back and listen until a good combination comes up.
Shadx posted a nice solution for this in the clyphx tips and trick thread just yesterday, which even automatically stores these kit as presets (technicaly clyphx x-clips).

All made possible by using 128s 8)

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks, I checked clyphx.. looked cool. But my gf thinks that i am hacking the pentagon. Will give it another try tomorrow, with a fresh brain :-)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:54 pm

Fossiel wrote: But my gf thinks that i am hacking the pentagon.
:lol:
That's a good thing, right?!

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:54 am

:)

For my own sanity, I just hope for an easy and foolproof solution to come into my life. This clyphx is not my cup of tea.

Maybe I should accept the limitations of drumracks and try to get creative instead of complaining.