TR 8 Frustration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
briahsdad

TR 8 Frustration

Post by briahsdad » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:58 am

I am trying to set up the tr-8 in Ableton. The very first step that Roland has is to set the TR-8 as the input device. Ableton sows the tr-8 but when I click it, it will not change. If I change the output device to TR-8 then I can do the input as well, but of course, I hear nothing.
Really frustrated really really

ImNotDedYet

Re: TR 8 Frustration

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:47 am

How is everything setup first of all?

Do you have TR-8 into computer via USB only or another way of connecting them?

Do you have an external instrument on a MIDI track or using an audio track to send/receive the TR-8 audio?

I'm not able to help you given the limited info so far, but rest assured, you can hook up a TR-8 to Live just fine.

timday

Post by timday » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:02 pm

I think the Roland way is to run the TR-8 as an audio interface. That way you get drums on separate tracks in etc. and can map it properly to a drum rack if you want. You can I think not set it up as an interface and instead just send MIDI to the TR-8 but then you are restricted to the single channel audio out, running it into your interface as an audio in, so you can't treat the drums separately for compression and EQ.

If you are on a Mac you can set up an aggregate I/O in audio MIDI setup with both the TR8 and your usual interface, then you can run both together and then pick your I/O for individual tracks (which will be the Roland inputs) and master out (presumably your usual interface). It seems like a pain to me. I've heard there can be sync issues doing this but not sure.

Not sure how to do it in Windows but someone on the forums said you can set up aggregate I/O using ASIO4all. The problem here is that ASIO4all is just a wrapper for WDM drivers which always seem to have a lot of latency. Not sure if this still happens using ASIO4all since I don't use it.......

I have to say that this is the main reason I haven't bought a TR-8, and have stuck to samples for all my Roland drum needs. Unless Roland have changed this in a firmware update in which case I'm interested again.

briahsdad

Post by briahsdad » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:20 pm

I had been running the TR-8 into a USB hub, and that into the Macbook. I also had a Audio interface (cheap, Lexicon Alpha 2 in 2 out) usb into the Mac. I was able to get it working proper if I switched out the Lexicon for an even worse Traktor audio 2. Bu the sound quality was horrid.
I guess the thing to try is using the TR-8 as the interface until I can buy the MX-1. I really want the push and APC to work in combo with the TR-8 for best performing fun!!

I will post my findings for future needs.

briahsdad

Post by briahsdad » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:09 pm

timday wrote:I think the Roland way is to run the TR-8 as an audio interface. That way you get drums on separate tracks in etc. and can map it properly to a drum rack if you want. You can I think not set it up as an interface and instead just send MIDI to the TR-8 but then you are restricted to the single channel audio out, running it into your interface as an audio in, so you can't treat the drums separately for compression and EQ.

If you are on a Mac you can set up an aggregate I/O in audio MIDI setup with both the TR8 and your usual interface, then you can run both together and then pick your I/O for individual tracks (which will be the Roland inputs) and master out (presumably your usual interface). It seems like a pain to me. I've heard there can be sync issues doing this but not sure.

Not sure how to do it in Windows but someone on the forums said you can set up aggregate I/O using ASIO4all. The problem here is that ASIO4all is just a wrapper for WDM drivers which always seem to have a lot of latency. Not sure if this still happens using ASIO4all since I don't use it.......

I have to say that this is the main reason I haven't bought a TR-8, and have stuck to samples for all my Roland drum needs. Unless Roland have changed this in a firmware update in which case I'm interested again.

This answered my problem. UNtil it came time to use the push to sequence the tr-8. But generelly, this worked great!

Systemetric

Post by Systemetric » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:32 am

Just got a TR8 and I'm having the same problems.. Cant select my audio interface together with the TR8 in this case the Denon DNMC6000 as its 44.1khz and I dont want to be creating an aggregate device.

Trying to do this (see first GIF) http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowled ... /201920279

Was wondering if the Saffire Pro 40 as its also 24bit/96kHz would work well with the TR8, as I need to get a new soundcard anyway. and then route the soundcard outs to a channel of the Denon. Thinking of adding a TB3 to the mix as well.