moving samples between projects

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sammond

moving samples between projects

Post by sammond » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:52 am

So I've got a master project with a bunch of sample libraries in it. I listen to the clips and then I want to copy the ones I like to a new project to begin working on a track.

How? I must be missing something obvious but I can't seem to move a collection of sample files (in the form of clips) to another project...?
do u like triangles?

trommelmeister

Re: moving samples between projects

Post by trommelmeister » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:30 am

sammond wrote:So I've got a master project with a bunch of sample libraries in it. I listen to the clips and then I want to copy the ones I like to a new project to begin working on a track.

How? I must be missing something obvious but I can't seem to move a collection of sample files (in the form of clips) to another project...?
What you can use is the "Collect All and Save" function from the file menu. This function determines which samples you are currently using in your project, and if it finds samples which are not already stored within the project, it copies them to the project's folder. After that you have a self-contained project, at least regarding the samples.

HTH, Martin

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:18 am

sammond wrote:So I've got a master project with a bunch of sample libraries in it.
It's not clear exactly what that means. What form are these libraries in?

If you want samples to be available for other sets, it's best to have them all stored in a separate folder (I have one, cunningly entitled 'Sample Library')

If you do 'collect all and save' those samples are available for all other sets in the same project folder, but it's much more difficult to use them in a completely new set.

sammond

Post by sammond » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:20 am

Sorry, I'll try to be explain better:

I imported all my wav samples from a range of packs into separate clips in a single project. The intention was to be able to listen to them consecutively then copy the ones I liked into a new project to start building a song.

I can't see how to get the selected samples copied out into a new project...

Hope this is clearer?
do u like triangles?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:41 am

You can drag individual clips or selection of multiple clips of your choosing from your project into a location in the Live Browser and save them under any name you like. Now these clips or collection of clips are available to all other projects.

Is this what you are looking for?

sammond

Post by sammond » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:50 am

Da hand wrote:You can drag individual clips or selection of multiple clips of your choosing from your project into a location in the Live Browser and save them under any name you like.
Kind of. This is what I've been doing but you need to drag each clip individually and then Ableton saves them to individual folders which you then need to browse in to to import them again. Bit of a time drain.

So, I guess I need to ask how other people browse sample files? Within Ableton or externally in another application?
do u like triangles?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:28 am

You can select more than one clip and drag these selected clips out to be saved. Live will then save all these clips under one file. Then when you drag that file back into Live, you are in effect dragging back all the clips you saved under that one file.

dewaldo

Post by dewaldo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:33 pm

sammond wrote:
Da hand wrote:You can drag individual clips or selection of multiple clips of your choosing from your project into a location in the Live Browser and save them under any name you like.
Kind of. This is what I've been doing but you need to drag each clip individually and then Ableton saves them to individual folders which you then need to browse in to to import them again. Bit of a time drain.

So, I guess I need to ask how other people browse sample files? Within Ableton or externally in another application?
I hate how live creates a new folder for samples that you drag into the browser. The best workaround I've come up with is to right click on the sample you want to save, select 'View in Browser', rename the raw WAV file, and then drag this raw WAV file where you want.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:43 pm

sammond wrote:how other people browse sample files? Within Ableton or externally in another application?
REX in Live as it's matched to the tempo anyway. Otherwise samples, I've yet to find a model I'm happy with.
Make some music!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:10 am

dewaldo wrote:
sammond wrote:

I hate how live creates a new folder for samples that you drag into the browser. The best workaround I've come up with is to right click on the sample you want to save, select 'View in Browser', rename the raw WAV file, and then drag this raw WAV file where you want.
It only creates a new project folder for clips that are dragged into a "non project" folder. So the workaround is to drag all your clips into an existing project folder. Basically make project folders the folders you want to keep your sample clips in and not just the system folders ;)