Syncing push with a machinedrum and analog 4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GreatExpectations

Syncing push with a machinedrum and analog 4

Post by GreatExpectations » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi,

I have an ableton push, machinedrum and analog four but I'm having trouble setting them up so they play together nicely. My interface is a NI audio kontrol 1. I want to create patterns on the MD and A4 and then record them into clips in live. I then plan on adding fx and doing further composing and arrangement itb. Also, I'd like to play the clips back in sync with the MD and A4 as I write more parts on these 2 synths. Could you advise me what is the best way to set all this up so that everything is in sync? Currently I just make songs on the MD and a4 standalone, but I'd like to integrate everything a bit more. So far everything I've tried isn't really working out so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Stromkraft

Re: Syncing push with a machinedrum and analog 4

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm

GreatExpectations wrote: Could you advise me what is the best way to set all this up so that everything is in sync? Currently I just make songs on the MD and a4 standalone, but I'd like to integrate everything a bit more. So far everything I've tried isn't really working out so any advice is appreciated.
Did you have specific issues or are you just unsure on how to set this up?

Generally, in Live use External Instrument on tracks for getting sound into Live as well as recording MIDI should you want that.

Make sure Live is sending MIDI Clock Sync and slave the devices if you want to run patterns on these. Otherwise just use them as sound modules.
Control start/stop and recording from Push and make your patterns on the Maschine and the A4 or send MIDI from Live to them, as you prefer.
Make some music!

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
GreatExpectations wrote: Could you advise me what is the best way to set all this up so that everything is in sync? Currently I just make songs on the MD and a4 standalone, but I'd like to integrate everything a bit more. So far everything I've tried isn't really working out so any advice is appreciated.
Did you have specific issues or are you just unsure on how to set this up?

Generally, in Live use External Instrument on tracks for getting sound into Live as well as recording MIDI should you want that.

Make sure Live is sending MIDI Clock Sync and slave the devices if you want to run patterns on these. Otherwise just use them as sound modules.
Control start/stop and recording from Push and make your patterns on the Maschine and the A4 or send MIDI from Live to them, as you prefer.
Thanks. I'm just unsure how to set this up. For example, how do I midi route the MD and A4 when I only have 1 midi out on the interface? MIDI out of interface to midi through or in on MD and then midi out on MD to midi in on A4?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 pm

GreatExpectations wrote:
Thanks. I'm just unsure how to set this up. For example, how do I midi route the MD and A4 when I only have 1 midi out on the interface? MIDI out of interface to midi through or in on MD and then midi out on MD to midi in on A4?
From Live and computer MIDI Out to the MIDI In on the first device and from the MIDI thru of the first device to the MIDI In on the second device.

If you want to record knob movements or any other MIDI from the devices you also need some path from the MIDI Out of the Devices to the MIDI In on the computer MIDI interface and obviously you need 2 MIDI Ins there. If your interface like mine only has one you need a MIDI box that can connect 2 MIDI cables and forward the stream to the one.

You also need to set up at least one specific MIDI channel per device - I'm not familiar with multichannel setups if that is possible - and make sure you send and receive for that device only on that channel (assuming these are on the same MIDI box).

You can read more about MIDI setup for external instruments in Live in the excellent manual
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:15 pm

I would just like to add that I'm jealous and wish I had your problems... :x
That's all :P
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /