Is anyone here successfully using an iConnectmidi4+ w/Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hopewell

Is anyone here successfully using an iConnectmidi4+ w/Live?

Post by Hopewell » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:23 pm

In particular, sending midi from Live to an iPad app.(iSEM) I have enabled iCM4+ port1 in Live. I have set up the iPad as an external instrument in Live. The midi on the external instrument is set to iCM4+ port1/ch1 and the external instrument *track* is set to all ins/all channels. The midi settings in iSEM are all iCM4+ ports active and omni. I get audio from the app into the track yet I am unable to send midi from Live to the app. To complicate things even more, I get midi activity indication from Live appearing on the front of the iCM4+ device yet not in the app.
What am I missing?

Liam

Re: Is anyone here successfully using an iConnectmidi4+ w/Live?

Post by Liam » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Hopewell wrote:In particular, sending midi from Live to an iPad app.(iSEM) I have enabled iCM4+ port1 in Live. I have set up the iPad as an external instrument in Live. The midi on the external instrument is set to iCM4+ port1/ch1 and the external instrument *track* is set to all ins/all channels. The midi settings in iSEM are all iCM4+ ports active and omni. I get audio from the app into the track yet I am unable to send midi from Live to the app. To complicate things even more, I get midi activity indication from Live appearing on the front of the iCM4+ device yet not in the app.
What am I missing?
Did you enable the IConnectivity app first before running Live?

Not sure that would effect your problem but as you did not mention this I wondered if it would help? It does seem that Live recognizes the ICM4 anyway from what you wrote.

The iPad app seems to offer better control / settings

Did you enable PC/Mac Audio?
And iOS Audio enabled?

Hopewell

Post by Hopewell » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:43 pm

I don't believe the iConnectivity iConfig program needs to be running for it to work. I can send midi to the iPad while routed through Live as an external instrument (with audio) from a controller connected to the USB host on the iCM4+. I can *now* control other (non-iPad midi tracks) in Live with the controller connected to the iCM4+ I just can't send midi from any midi source from Live to the iPad.

Liam

Post by Liam » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Hopewell wrote:I don't believe the iConnectivity iConfig program needs to be running for it to work. I can send midi to the iPad while routed through Live as an external instrument (with audio) from a controller connected to the USB host on the iCM4+. I can *now* control other (non-iPad midi tracks) in Live with the controller connected to the iCM4+ I just can't send midi from any midi source from Live to the iPad.
Are your Live Preferences set to the required Ins and Outs? You most likely have done that.

What about any ios issues with updates etc?

Are you using a Camera Kit on your iPad - you did not specify that point.

So iPad with Camera Kit to usb port on the ICM4?
Last edited by Liam on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopewell

Post by Hopewell » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:34 pm

I have enabled iCM4+ port1 in Live. I have set up the iPad as an external instrument in Live. The midi on the external instrument is set to iCM4+ port1/ch1 and the external instrument *track* is set to all ins/all channels.
I have the latest iOS version installed. Hmmm. could that be the issue? I doubt it.

Liam

Post by Liam » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:36 pm

Hopewell wrote:I have enabled iCM4+ port1 in Live. I have set up the iPad as an external instrument in Live. The midi on the external instrument is set to iCM4+ port1/ch1 and the external instrument *track* is set to all ins/all channels.
I have the latest iOS version installed. Hmmm. could that be the issue? I doubt it.
I'm installing an ios update right now. And there have been a few issues with various apps.

Does the ICM4 show up as an Audio Out option in Preferences? Or do you have to use ASIO4ALL?

koranek

Post by koranek » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:06 pm

The three USB ports on the ICM4+ are different in how they supply power. Basically your iPad should be connected to USB 1 for charging power and your computer to USB 3 (no power supplied or needed).

In your Live preferences, make sure ICM4+ USB 1 (the usb port your iPad is connected to) is turned on for Track Input and Output. Also, if you want tempo sync with midi clock between your computer and your iPad, Set ICM4+ USB 1: Output : Sync. USB 3 shouldn't even appear because it's the computer.

The external instrument should select USB 1 and then the channel you want.

The iPad app should be set up to receive on USB 3 and the channel or omni.

If you want to get midi back into Live, you can set the app to output to USB 3, but I've had a lot of problems with midi feedback loops. But you should be able to play a note on the iPad and route the midi through Live.

Also try other iPad synths to see if you can get any to respond to midi.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

Josh_iConnectivity

Post by Josh_iConnectivity » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:08 am

I believe you already have a question open, but you can join our forum here for more hardware troubleshooting:
http://www.iconnectivity.com/forum

Like noted above, you should be able to see your DIN and the device ports listed (USB 1, USB 2). You won't see the corresponding USB port of the device port you are currently using for the computing device (ex: if your computer is connected to device port 3, you won't need to send to USB 3 - since that would be the same place).

Keep us updated here:
http://www.iconnectivity.com/forum#/dis ... th-apps/p2

-JS