reverb alternative to ableton reverb

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
antarktika

Re: reverb alternative to ableton reverb

Post by antarktika » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 pm

yentzee wrote:i read about he 2c ones. are they cool on the cpu?
Aether is a pretty big cpu hit, but Breeze (Aether's "little brother", as it were) is designed specifically to be lighter on cpu, and easier to use.

...oh, and can't speak to Breeze specifically, but I use Aether, and it's amazing!

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:30 pm

sounds like what i am looking for :)

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Native Instruments RC 24 and RC 48.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:46 pm

yentzee wrote:i read about he 2c ones. are they cool on the cpu?
Aether & B2 are pretty heavy on the cpu, but especially they become annoying during offline rendering (if you use good quality settings, that is).

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:47 pm

kb420 wrote:Native Instruments RC 24 and RC 48.
These are probably the best sounding algorithmic reverbs I've heard and used IMO.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:20 pm

After months of testing and testing again, I finally narrowed my go-to Reverbs down to two things:

1. U-he UHIBK-A -- for ambiences, small spaces, subtle spacing verbs: for these tasks, it is perfect and simple to use.

2. 2c-Audio Breeze -- incredible for big spaces, rich washes, also good at any and all halls, chambers, etc. Lush as hell.

....oh, but I still have a few instances of Arts Acoustic Reverb on my template Returns because it's great, too. But for some reason I never like using it as an insert...(the two listed above I use as inserts for Serial processing, not as sends, fwiw).

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:32 pm

Airyck wrote:
Fossiel wrote:How about NI reflektor? I own this, but just want to know if this is considered shit :)

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... reflektor/
Reflector is awesome, just a bit of a hassle being tied to Guitar rig.
+1, had to replace Convo with it and i was able to match the settings of Valhalla vintage as i was using the demo.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:21 pm

Don't forget that the Ableton reverb sums the input to mono then outputs a stereo signal. You may be able to get a wider more lush sound from the Ableton reverb by using 2 of them in an effects rack, use the utility to pan left and right to each individual reverb making it into a true stereo reverb.... also try putting them in series, you could have 4 reverbs in a stereo return making up your reverb sound :P

I tend to think a lot of people don't spend enough time with the tools they have on hand and always want a quick fix, which only hurts yourself in the long run. :P

I mean the Ableton Reverb is only from 2001 it's not "that" old :lol:
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Airyck wrote:
Well, what digital hardware reverbs you think Native instruments tried to imitate with RC 24 and RC 48? When were those originals made? :P

Old ? Bad.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Airyck wrote:
Well, what digital hardware reverbs you think Native instruments tried to imitate with RC 24 and RC 48? When was those originals made? :P

Old ? Bad.
lol, have you ever even heard the Live Reverb compared to something like the Valhalla ones?!

Lives Reverb is not "vintage" it's simply outdated!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 am

Airyck wrote:Don't forget that the Ableton reverb sums the input to mono then outputs a stereo signal. You may be able to get a wider more lush sound from the Ableton reverb by using 2 of them in an effects rack, use the utility to pan left and right to each individual reverb making it into a true stereo reverb.... also try putting them in series, you could have 4 reverbs in a stereo return making up your reverb sound :P
lol, you suggest using four instances of Reverb, which already uses about twice as much CPU per instance compared to the Valhalla ones, just to barely get the effect of one instance of Valhalla Vintage?!

Maybe sometimes people don't use the tools they have well enough and often enough and engage in needless G.A.S. Agreed. But sometimes they just make a sensible decision to invest in their art and to let go of the "good" ol' times. (As should Ableton when it concerns their algo reverb ;-) )

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:58 am

Airyck wrote:I like using the Max 4 Live convolution reverb pro if I need a lush reverb.
I agree.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

login

Post by login » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:21 pm

I love Valhalla Vintage Verb.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Valhalla Room is considered to be one of the best sounding reverbs by reputable magazines (SOS etc.) and general forum feedback.
I own Room and Eventide Ultrareverb which is very good- I prefer Room however, and Room id $50. Coupled with UberMod (which I just bought) you pretty much have everything covered!
FYI- Valhalla Room has a lot of user generated patches (check over at KVR on the Valhalla forum) and don't be fooled with the name 'Room', it is capable of (and in my opinion better at) special effects like EVentite Blackhole (although if you are really in to Reverb as an effect, Valhalla Shimmer is worth a look)

One general comment- a good reverb makes the sound, it can turn a simple patch in to a massive pad, a simple acoustic guitar chord in to a massive soundscape- don't just stick it on stuff for realist reverberation in the mix! A bad reverb can mage any good sound thin, tinny and washed out....
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 am

thanks will definitely try the valhalla stuff.
just used the convolution ableton one first time and this sounds way better than the algorithmic one.
haven't looked for small rooms for drum reverberation yet