Making Music - the book

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Making Music - the book

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:59 pm

So what do you think?

https://makingmusic.ableton.com/

At USD30, it's ridiculously overpriced.

But the website looks very interesting. (A third of the chapters are online.)

This is not a Lounge thread, by the way. I'd like to hear serious and constructive comments on the books, its strong and weak points, and the ideas in it.

stringtapper

Re: Making Music - the book

Post by stringtapper » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:58 pm

First off…
re:dream wrote:At USD30, it's ridiculously overpriced.
:lol:

Jesus, how cheap are you?

It's 340 pages. That's a pretty moderate price I'd say. "Ridiculously overpriced" is entirely overdramatic and, well, ridiculous.

Sorry, it's true. Anyway…

I like the consistent strategy he uses in each section. Seems very modular and something one would use as more of a reference rather sitting down by the fire with a chianti and mowing through it in an evening.

I need to go through some of the samples to be able to say anything about the content but I already like the concept and I respect Dennis as a well-rounded musician.

Who am I kidding, I'm a book addict, especially music books. Just bought it. :lol:
Unsound Designer

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:19 pm

That's R 400 in our local currency, which is pretty expensive. (Will you take "pretty expensive"? I will withdraw my "ridiculously overpriced". OK, how about "not a steal"? You happy now?)

I must say I like what I have read of the content. It seems to have a nice mix of creative and technical advice.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:25 pm

re:dream wrote:That's R 400 in our local currency, which is pretty expensive. (Will you take "pretty expensive"? I will withdraw my "ridiculously overpriced". OK, how about "not a steal"? You happy now?)
NEVER

:lol:

re:dream wrote:I must say I like what I have read of the content. It seems to have a nice mix of creative and technical advice.
Yeah, so far so good. I like the brevity and compactness of it. Lots of meat in small bites. Great reference tool.
Unsound Designer

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:42 pm

I keep thinking of Oblique Strategies. The set of cards, not the forum member.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:47 pm

"Active listening simply means listening as the primary activity, and it’s an important skill to develop. Rather than using music as the background for another activity, try listening without doing anything else. This requires time, quiet, and focus, which are skills you need for your own production work anyway. A good way to start is by just putting on some music and then turning your attention to it entirely. "

It has become so rare? People don't do this anymore? I suppose not - headphones - phone - facebook - overexposure - death.

Hell I used to run home from school just to listen to my favourite CDs throughout the whole afternoon with rapt attention. Wasn't I just swell?

Anyway, I've only read a few pages but it seems interesting, though a lot so far very obvious - stuff you do naturally. "what timbres are the instruments?" etc... As I said - only a few pages.

...and now I've skimmed through quite a few more pages - I think I might buy this, seems like at least a good read. I need another book for the morning and evening train journeys.

...just bought it. Only £16 here (yup - R400 is indeed very expensive for a book in South Africa though), or £20 with shipping.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Typically Ableton and its asslicking crew here on the board to earn money on everything else than making a stabel and good working app they are paid for! Dont buy that crap book, and dont buy Ableton products they all sucks! Dont waste your time with Ableton, use some of the better alternatives out there, and you will be more happy, Ableton, Live and Push is a JOKE! :twisted:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Perhaps we can get Ableton to put that on the back cover. I suspect it would boost sales.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:11 pm

:mrgreen:

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:19 pm

re:dream wrote:I keep thinking of Oblique Strategies. The set of cards, not the forum member.
Yeah, same here. Like an expanded variant of it.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:21 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Typically Ableton and its asslicking crew here on the board to earn money on everything else than making a stabel and good working app they are paid for! Dont buy that crap book, and dont buy Ableton products they all sucks! Dont waste your time with Ableton, use some of the better alternatives out there, and you will be more happy, Ableton, Live and Push is a JOKE! :twisted:
And yet you're still spending time on their forum?

:roll:
Unsound Designer

smbenn

Post by smbenn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Wonder if it'll be available as a digital download? Come on Ableton!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:28 pm

smbenn wrote:Wonder if it'll be available as a digital download? Come on Ableton!
It says on one of the pages that Kindle and iBooks versions are coming.
Unsound Designer

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:29 pm

I'd be a lot more impressed if they added Session Overview to the APC Mini and the APC Key 25; this lack of functionality has to be one of the dumbest design/marketing decisions ever made by anyone..

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Buleriachk wrote:I'd be a lot more impressed if they added Session Overview to the APC Mini and the APC Key 25; this lack of functionality has to be one of the dumbest design/marketing decisions ever made by anyone..
While I understand your frustration and agree that it's a massive oversight, I don't think Dennis has anything to do with this.