Making Music - the book

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alekp

Re: Making Music - the book

Post by alekp » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:23 pm

yeah ordered mine day of and I'm yet to hear of it shipping. someone even got their copy already ?? :(

anyone else ??

Flyin'

Post by Flyin' » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:31 am

Hi,

Can we expect a french translation of this book?

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:13 am

alekp wrote:yeah ordered mine day of and I'm yet to hear of it shipping. someone even got their copy already ?? :(

anyone else ??
yeah I ordered mine day of and haven't gotten any info for shipping so Im assuming they haven't shipped yet, however, I think I remember them saying I should receive the book within 7-10 days upon order so idk...

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 am

Just received mine via UPS here at work. A heavy little tome, between A4 and A5 as BoddAH said. It has around 75 creative strategies.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 am

74, to be exact, I understand.

Why 74, I wonder?

Is it a Max MSP thing?

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:54 pm

re:dream wrote:74, to be exact, I understand.

Why 74, I wonder?

Is it a Max MSP thing?
I don’t know. Maybe Dennis just did the intelligent thing and wrote down everything he had to say about the subject, counted the number of tips and wrote it on the cover instead of doing it the other way around by choosing an arbitrary number and trying to come up with tips afterwards… :roll:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:58 pm

I think it is subliminal advertising. I call product placement :twisted:

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:22 pm

re:dream wrote:I think it is subliminal advertising. I call product placement :twisted:
Well, Max is hell of a product.

:mrgreen:
Unsound Designer

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:41 pm

tedlogan wrote:Just received mine via UPS here at work. A heavy little tome, between A4 and A5 as BoddAH said. It has around 75 creative strategies.
seems europe gets their book first respectably the book shipping from germany, but I'm curious if you got shipping info before it arrived as in the USA I ordered day of and still haven't gotten any shipping info.

andresnol

Post by andresnol » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:51 pm

pinkpaint wrote: seems europe gets their book first respectably the book shipping from germany, but I'm curious if you got shipping info before it arrived as in the USA I ordered day of and still haven't gotten any shipping info.
i ordered on thursday and got shipping info today (was shipped yesterday), so maybe the volume was just so high and they are a little bit behind. the shipping is by ups and and starts tracking from germany.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:59 pm

well I ordered mine Wednesday a day before you, and mine still hasn't shipped. All I got was an order confirmation. Sad face

chupachups

Post by chupachups » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Dear all,
I ordered last week the book & received it on monday (4 days after).
Excellent Paper book, you get a nice object in your hand.
The price is really cheap for what you get: a lot of nice tips & tricks.

You have on page describing the problem (e.g how to change chords, strucuture of songs, which tempo?), and then in front, you get the solutions (simple and efficient). It's well written, easy to read (chapters are short and independant from each others, they can be read in any order) - I started to open the book and could not stop reading it :-)

The book adresses many aspects of music composition (from scratch to the "master"), provides good practices and METHODOLOGIES. Nothing about "Promotion" but this is normal and I don't think it would have been useful in the book.

For people who have a lot of experience in music, they will recognize their own "methods" or way of thinking when creating music ;-) You may find the same advices in other books, but in this book, you have a sort of FAQ of music composition very well written, well structured, easy to read. For the "beginners", it will provide a method, I will recommend it.

I will use this book as a reference and when I am stack .. no inspirations, etc.
I was looking since a long time to get such a type of book containing interesting tips about how to create songs, finish them, make progressions, breaks, etc.

What I like the most: methodlogies are "presented", many tips & tricks concentrated into one signle book, nice way of presenting the problems and solutions, nice paper book, cheap price, not Ableton live specific.

What I don't like: well, you could find many of these tips in others books (but you need to buy several ones!).

Regards.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm

pinkpaint wrote:
tedlogan wrote:Just received mine via UPS here at work. A heavy little tome, between A4 and A5 as BoddAH said. It has around 75 creative strategies.
seems europe gets their book first respectably the book shipping from germany, but I'm curious if you got shipping info before it arrived as in the USA I ordered day of and still haven't gotten any shipping info.
I received the order/payment confirmation the same day as most probably do, and UPS shipping info 2 days later, on Friday. It was then still in Germany then, probably just received by UPS' hub.

alekp

Post by alekp » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:39 pm

chupachups wrote:Dear all,
I ordered last week the book & received it on monday (4 days after).
Excellent Paper book, you get a nice object in your hand.
The price is really cheap for what you get: a lot of nice tips & tricks.

You have on page describing the problem (e.g how to change chords, strucuture of songs, which tempo?), and then in front, you get the solutions (simple and efficient). It's well written, easy to read (chapters are short and independant from each others, they can be read in any order) - I started to open the book and could not stop reading it :-)

The book adresses many aspects of music composition (from scratch to the "master"), provides good practices and METHODOLOGIES. Nothing about "Promotion" but this is normal and I don't think it would have been useful in the book.

For people who have a lot of experience in music, they will recognize their own "methods" or way of thinking when creating music ;-) You may find the same advices in other books, but in this book, you have a sort of FAQ of music composition very well written, well structured, easy to read. For the "beginners", it will provide a method, I will recommend it.

I will use this book as a reference and when I am stack .. no inspirations, etc.
I was looking since a long time to get such a type of book containing interesting tips about how to create songs, finish them, make progressions, breaks, etc.

What I like the most: methodlogies are "presented", many tips & tricks concentrated into one signle book, nice way of presenting the problems and solutions, nice paper book, cheap price, not Ableton live specific.

What I don't like: well, you could find many of these tips in others books (but you need to buy several ones!).

Regards.

makes me excited!!

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 am

Flyin' wrote: Can we expect a french translation of this book?
We haven't planned any translations so far, but it's under consideration.

Best,