(This question is about timing, while playing piano] help.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CoreyJayzMusic

Re: (This question is about timing, while playing piano] help.

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:21 pm

[/quote]

I've found one of the better ways to understand my own rhythmical ideas is to record with "free" tempo and find a section that sounds right and focus the analysis on this section.

Sometimes I extract the groove from this section, quantize the original and reapply the groove on it testing with different percentages. Then I try one of the other grooves in the library and compare. I do the same with others' tracks that I like.

At the moment my focus is on learning to use different grooves for different drum voices. It's great fun actually.[/quote]

ill check that out, im not really to comfortable working with the groove thing because i just don't work with it at all, but i will, it sounds cool.

so like for example, i assume your talking about drums, basically you'll just get a groove going (not related to the BPM of the track)

Kick-Hat-Kick-Kick-Hat, "extract groove" then quantize, then add the "groove" and see what happens?

that makes perfect sense actually. :D
Ableton Suite 9.1, Komplette 9, Push, Novation LaunchKey49, Korg PadKontrol.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:55 pm

CoreyJayzMusic wrote:i assume your talking about drums, basically you'll just get a groove going (not related to the BPM of the track)

Kick-Hat-Kick-Kick-Hat, "extract groove" then quantize, then add the "groove" and see what happens?

that makes perfect sense actually. :D
Well, I find a loop first, 1-4 bars, and extract from there. After I've done analysis stuff like this I find it much easier to just set up a new groove that sits right from the start as well as I feel my performances are tighter and more true to the original idea.
It also have helped me identifying parts in an idea that doesn't seem to strictly fit into 4/4 bars, like upbeats, triplets, odd meters and similar which certainly makes it easier to play out an idea to a metronome.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Stromkraft wrote:…parts in an idea that doesn't strictly fit into 4/4 bars, like upbeats, triplets, odd meters and similar which certainly makes it easier to play out an idea to a metronome.
Just so this is clear, upbeats and triplets happen in 4/4 all the time and fit fine within it.
Unsound Designer

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:33 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:…parts in an idea that doesn't strictly fit into 4/4 bars, like upbeats, triplets, odd meters and similar which certainly makes it easier to play out an idea to a metronome.
Just so this is clear, upbeats and triplets happen in 4/4 all the time and fit fine within it.
Yeah, they sure do. But before you know that's what you hear in your head it can appear they don't. Changing the wording for that. Thanks.
Make some music!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:50 am

Stromkraft wrote:But before you know that's what you hear in your head it can appear they don't.
Well, yeah. If one doesn't understand how subdivisions and triplet rhythms relate to and sound in simple meters and instead only goes by how things look in a piano roll then I guess they wouldn't appear to fit.

Now there's an argument for music education funding in schools. :)
Unsound Designer

CoreyJayzMusic

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:33 am

stringtapper wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:But before you know that's what you hear in your head it can appear they don't.
Well, yeah. If one doesn't understand how subdivisions and triplet rhythms relate to and sound in simple meters and instead only goes by how things look in a piano roll then I guess they wouldn't appear to fit.

i think i know what you guys are talking about? could to expand on this or any where online you could reference so i could look this up?

i might be doing this without realizing? as stormkraft said earlier i just play piano with feel but don't really know all the underlying technicalities or names i would like to familiarize myself with the technical parts/terms so i could really study and expand my musical knowledge

i did watch this video is this what u meant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siowg_ONsZI

and i also found this http://www.studybass.com/lessons/rhythm ... bdivision/

update: nevermind i do this all the time, just didn't know the musical terms or whatever, but that site is pretty cool for practice or someone whos really a beginner
Ableton Suite 9.1, Komplette 9, Push, Novation LaunchKey49, Korg PadKontrol.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:50 am

stringtapper wrote: Well, yeah. If one doesn't understand how subdivisions and triplet rhythms relate to and sound in simple meters and instead only goes by how things look in a piano roll then I guess they wouldn't appear to fit.
If only everyone were as perfect as your lowliness…
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:54 am

Only a true idiot can turn sharing of ideas and discovery to an ugly ego-contest. That's your choice, stringflapper.
Make some music!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:31 am

Stromkraft wrote:Only a true idiot can turn sharing of ideas and discovery to an ugly ego-contest. That's your choice, stringflapper.
Uh, I ended my last post with a bit of lighthearted humor and my comments weren't meant to be anything but informative.

Anything else you're taking away from it is coming from within my friend.
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:39 am

stringtapper wrote:
Yeah, because that's what we need in the world. More musicians. :roll:

They can then all earn 0.000001 cents per play of their masterpieces on Spotify, listened to by an uncaring audience on their iPhone buds.

Or make jingles for commercials and play the corporate c**k s***ing circuit during the lunch breaks in Silicon Valey.

Musicians are the telephone sanatizers of our times methinks :x
Last edited by TomViolenz on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:45 am

Stromkraft wrote:Only a true idiot can turn sharing of ideas and discovery to an ugly ego-contest. That's your choice, stringflapper.
I realize you probably don't mean it that way, but you often come across just as brusque when you post.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
I realize you probably don't mean it that way, but you often come across just as brusque when you post.
It's not about that at all.
Please show me one post where I stick it to people how I know something they don't or when I criticize people when they thank me for pointing out some detail they wrote. Show me where I act as if my perception is the only possible one that all people must have.

I don't mind heated debate about something people feel passionate about. In this case Stringflapper simply lost all perspective. He pointed out something and I thanked him for it. Then he shoves down his view as being the only valid one (which it isn't). That's simply rude and an ego masturbation at the expense of the OP and the readers. Totally uncalled for.

(Please take future meta-talk to PM)
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:47 pm

stringtapper wrote:
It's not about this really, to me. It's about for example having poly-rhythmic ideas, or at least more complex ones than simple 4/4, that may be beyond your current experience or a little different than straight beats and being able to get these down without distorting the idea (which you can do later instead). For that it helps to be an instrumentalist I'm sure. I just play with my drum sticks on anything. It's really helpful as is Push if you don't get lost.

When it's something you've done before you can possible perceive it quickly, but some times it's not so clear where a phrase starts and ends. It might even be optional as the idea is formed in the now and can be further molded already in your head before you know its rhythmic content in detail. Personally I like to just "listen" to the idea in my head instead of trying to make it fit into pre-concieved patterns. When you got it down you can play around with it and make decisions on what is what.
Make some music!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:25 pm

Stromkraft wrote:I don't mind heated debate about something people feel passionate about. In this case Stringflapper simply lost all perspective. He pointed out something and I thanked him for it. Then he shoves down his view as being the only valid one (which it isn't). That's simply rude and an ego masturbation at the expense of the OP and the readers. Totally uncalled for.
What "view"? There was no view. I just followed up on what you were saying. Knowing how rhythm (and music in general) works helps you work faster. Can people get the job done without knowing? Sure. Doesn't negate the fact that knowledge is power and the more you know the more efficiently you'll be able to work.

Yes, I'm an advocate for music education. Sorry if that makes some people uncomfortable.
Unsound Designer

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:14 pm

I didn't read all the posts, so sorry if it has already been mentioned, but...
do you know that you can set any (audio) track to be the Master tempo guide ?