Most favorite standard instruments and presets for deep hous

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
polyhickup

Most favorite standard instruments and presets for deep hous

Post by polyhickup » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi guys,
I am trying to reduce my production technique and want to make new tracks just with the shipped vsts and presets.
What vsts and presets do you recommend and do you like for deep house music production.

Any tips and hints?

Looking forward to your feedback...

Cheers

Airyck

Re: Most favorite standard instruments and presets for deep hous

Post by Airyck » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Do you have Ableton Suite or Standard?

Learn to use Analog and Operator if you have Suite, you can make some very nice sounds with those 2.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Well, I think operator is the best synth in the world for beginning to learn synthesis, and if you really stick to it for a month or two, you will really understand operators synthesis enough to be able to make any sound you want thats possible from operator. So if you want to make deep house sounds, I would recommend watching just 1-2 tutorials on operator IF your not familiar with it yet, however, they don't necessarily have to be deep house tutorials just see how people are using it so you can get some ideas to begin your experimentation. The best way to learn is to actually experiment, even if you don't know what your doing eventually you will connect the dots and realize oh this is what does this, that makes the sound do that, blah blah blah. Anyways, Operator is an FM synth, so not all synths will be like operator after learned, however, FM synthesis is probably the most common form of synthesis, and many other forms of synthesis borrow properties from FM synthesis, so this isn't a learn one synth learn them all, however, you learn the parameters on the synth, you will be a lot quicker study on another synth. For instance if you master operator, id imagine you could use massive as it has a way less take on the FM synthesis however, very similar signal flow.

Presets keep you from learning, take it from a dude who used presets for a while before I started learning synthesis. Actually learning synthesis, will change your life I promise. Some great tutorials on synthesis that I love to watch are from SeamlessR on youtube, because he uses FL studio and I have never used FL studio, I see VSTS that I will never use, however, I focus on the parameters in which he is using to create these sounds, as they all translate to different synths, seamlessr is as great of a teacher as they come for sound design, and all his stuff is free on youtube.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 pm

Don't disregard Analog too quickly either though (actually Subtractive synthesis is more common than FM but both are common). It's great for getting "analog" synth sounds quickly. With two oscillators each with sub oscillators and two filters which can be place in parallel or series you can achieve a large variety of "classic" synth sounds like you find in deep house for example.

There are a wider range of sounds possible with Operator but Analog can be a lot easier for certain types of sounds especially classic synth sounds; they both sound great though IMHO.

You can also use instrument racks to combine multiple Analog or Operator synths into one so you really aren't just limited to just the stock synths and you can sort of build your own which is one of the things that make Live awesome.

Learning to make your own sounds can be a very useful skill even when it just comes to modifying presets.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

polyhickup

Post by polyhickup » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Thank you guys for your Great Input - i came across the Guy from syntorial. You can google him. He offeres a software that teaches you how Synthese work and what Parameters so what. Really Love it!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:32 pm

pinkpaint wrote:Operator is an FM synth, so not all synths will be like operator after learned,
Operator is according to Ableton:
"an advanced and flexible synthesizer that combines the concept of “frequency modulation“ (FM) with classic subtractive and additive synthesis"
24.6 Operator in the Live Manual

I do agree with this definition and really feel it's oversimplifying claiming it's just an FM synth. Operator is certainly great for Classic House sounds, whatever that is. But really, forget about the factory presets. Make your own. It's not that hard and you need only a handful to make great stuff.

When I learn classic synthesis aspects I usually try and make the same patch in Operator, Analog (a disappointment to me) and FM-8 as well as Razor. Lately I've been adding Massive (OMG what a great synth for anything). It never sounds exactly the same and you learn a lot from the process.
Make some music!