Using Yamaha THR10 amp recording with Ableton/Yosemite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EasyWorkflow

Using Yamaha THR10 amp recording with Ableton/Yosemite

Post by EasyWorkflow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:09 am

Hey Friends,

The weather in NY is just about to get nice and I have always preferred sitting outside when playing guitar. Now that I picked up Ableton and have it installed on both my desktop and laptop,
playing and recording outside will be even more fun. So I stumbled on this little monster amp online the other day and new right away this was something I had to own. It has option of battery power and you can get 6 to 7 hours of playing time on the rechargeable batteries Yamaha recommends. Plus it's the size of a lunchbox. I never even heard of this amp until a few days ago yet it was released at the 2102 Namm show. Since then, Yamaha has added 5 models to the THR series:. THR5, THR10, THR10c, THR10x, THR10a. I am a amp snob having played Mesa Boogies my entire gigging career of 30 years so it's very seldom I get excited over an amp, especially a battery pored amp the size of a lunchbox. If the tones I heard on all the Yuotube videos are real, then this is the holy grail of portable, digital modeling amps and seems like a must own if you are a guitar player. Go to Youtube and watch videos to see what I mean. Freaken a sick little monster.

I posted a question about this amp in the Roland Vguitar forum and one of the most knowledgeable and senior members who used to recommend this amp doesn't anymore because he said there are too many issues when recording direct into Ableton with Yosemite. I was bummed for a while but realized later today that is really doesn't make a difference because I wanted to use this amp for the following three purposes:

1.) Just chilling outside in beautiful weather and playing my electric guitar through this little tone beast and jam away and write riffs. practice modes, and jam with other musicians who bring their guitars outside.

2.) This amp has a cool feature that allows you to jam with MP3s from laptop or Iphone and I read today they have a special App for Iphone (not android) that adds a lot of cool features wen using this amp. I decided to buy the THR10 version 2 model as this model seems most versatile. When jamming along with MP3s , it can be done with or without headphones and like I said, there is something to be said about sitting outside and practicing guitar. Now that I have Ableton, it will be double the fun as this amp and laptop make recording outside an easy thing because not much gear to lug around. They make a special case for the lunchbox size amp, put your laptop guitar and cords in a backpack, grab your guitar and all set.

3.) I am going to record with Ableton regardless if this amp doesn't play nice when Yosemite is running. I have a Godin Montreal with built in MIDI Fishman Triple Play pickup so that alone will keep me busy learning to use MIDI and triple play pickup to control internal soft synths. I also want to become fluent using Guitar Rig, Amplitude and other plugins to learn how to create good tones without external devices. But I was really hoping to go direct via USB as all the guitarists on Youtube swear the sounds they get going direct into their DAW are unreal.

The reason I am posting is to find out if any guitarists on this forum own any of the Yamaha THR amps, and if you experience problems recording direct when using Ableton/Yosemite. This will allow me to forget about that option and not wasting anytime or get aggravated trying to use a feature thatI know in advance has a problem.

Love to hear any feedback at all from guitarists on this forum who own this little digital tone monster and if you use it for recording. And please feel free if you heard this amp live and think it sucks and not worth the $300 for the different models. The THR5 can be purchased for $199.

I will post online with a review when amp arrives as I am ordering amp tomorrow from Sweetwater. I will quickly know if everything online was hype or if this little machine is truly the holy grail of battery powered modeling amps and as many guitarists said in the online reviews, this was one of the best purchases they ever made. Please remember although there may be better external products for getting tones into Ableton, I am specifically buying this amp because I am going to spend 90% of my playing and recording time sitting outside and I know very little about battery powered amps except what I heard and read online.

Cheers

BobbyD

EasyWorkflow

Re: Using Yamaha THR10 amp recording with Ableton/Yosemite

Post by EasyWorkflow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:11 pm

NO guitarists in forum using one of the Yamaha THR amps for direct recording with Yosemite? I will have to be the guinea pig and let everyone know how it works out.