What is the most integrated keyboard into Ableton Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pinkpaint

What is the most integrated keyboard into Ableton Live?

Post by pinkpaint » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:44 am

Hello,

I am looking for users opinions on the most integrated keyboard within Ableton live. From what I have gathered the novation sl mk2 seems to be incredibly integrated. Is there any other keyboards in which people would recommend?

re:dream

Re: What is the most integrated keyboard into Ableton Live?

Post by re:dream » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:38 am

Push?

I don't like Novation - I find their automap feature does not work nicely with remote scripts and midi mapping. But other people love it, so there you go.

What I would do is to take any decent keyboard with lots of knobs and sliders, (e.g. by Akai), make sure it has an editor so I could assign particular CCs to particular knobs/faders, and then use SelectedTrackControl to map it to Live

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:13 am

awesome! I did not know about the selected track control script so thanks for letting me know about it. Yeah I keep reading negative things about automap but Ive never personally dealt with it.

Ill look into akai keyboards with an editor. Thanks.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:03 pm

I've used several....but Push is essentially Live in hardware form. Not technically a keyboard...but it's similar.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:00 pm

have to say that I bought a first gen Novation ReMote SL & it's amazing.
1. the 2nd gen models don't have the 2nd lcd window over the 8 sliders
2. I'm kinda picky about the feel of keybeds and the SL feels the best of any I've tried - far superior to M-Audio, Akai, etc
3. AutoMap integrated seamlessly into LIVE. I understand some users have trouble mapping to various other synths or hosts but LIVE integration is built in. I've never had an issue
4. I dig the joystick and the trackpad - sometimes both at once

peace
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

timday

Post by timday » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:51 pm

Novation. Which one depends what you want. Impulse for decent drum pads, hardware arpeggiator, and aftertouch; Launchkeys for better session view integration; SL Remote for loads of MIDI controller options. Impulse doesn't need Automap and I don't think Launchkeys do either. Personally I like the Impulse/Launchpad combo, but I'll probably get a Launchpad Pro (velocity sensitive pads plus Push style keyboard functionality looks good to me).

Or Push if you can live without an actual keyboard and can go with their pad/keys layout. The integration in Push goes pretty deep. If you're a guitarist you might prefer it because in the chromatic layout all the chords are shape based e.g. majors will always be the same shape as will minors whatever key you're in.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:12 pm

timday wrote:Push if you can live without an actual keyboard
I own Push and still lack a semi-weighted keyboard, not being a keyboardist either. You play differently on a real keyboard.
Make some music!

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:21 pm

timday wrote: ... but I'll probably get a Launchpad Pro (velocity sensitive pads plus Push style keyboard functionality looks good to me)...
whoa - thanks for pointing that one out - I hava LP mini that, frankly I'm never using - this new version looks perfect
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:12 pm

If you have a launchpad, you should definitely integrate the free LP95 script.

You can do a lot without really touching any other controllers haha

As for the Remote SL, I'm a happy owner of the MKii 25 key. I'd like more keys, and the controller is old enough today that you can get a larger version for what I paid for mine.

With the feedback that the mkii gives you utilizing both the LED lit buttons, and the LCD display which gives all parameters, it is by far my fastest and most common sense go-to keyboard in most situations. Also it does not Rely on Automap, automap is an additional feature that you could use. I rarely use it myself, I have it installed but default my keyboard to load in Live mode. If you do choose to integrate the free automap feature, it allows you to use keyboard shortcuts.

I used to also be able to change Live's tempo with the remote, but I think that's been removed since Live 9 somehow.

I'm on the list of people anxious for the LP Pro (even though I already have Push). I love the LP's smaller more mobile form factor. Plus, the LP Pro can function as a standalone midi controller, note mode and all!!

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:45 pm

The most integrated keyboard for Ableton Live is certainly https://www.editorskeys.com/products/au ... -keyboard/

:-)
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

login

Post by login » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:21 pm

IMHO integration in third party midi controllers is very limited, better get a keyboard only controller as Roland a-49 and add Push.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:42 pm

the AKAI MPK has always been decent for me. the keys feel great, its a sturdy build...not cheap feeling. the faders,knobs and wheels feel nice. works seamlessly with ableton. other than that, i have had an maudio axiom...which isn't bad, just not as nice/user friendly as the MPK....its got a cheaper feel.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.