iPad synths and daws

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
empathy1

iPad synths and daws

Post by empathy1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:24 pm

I've been doing a bit of reading on options for utilizing my iPad for something useful; ie an external sound device. Apparently a lot of companies have developed iPad specific platforms for synthesis and on-the-road production; e.g. korg gadget.

I've dabbled only briefly with the Garageband app as well as NI's iMaschine on the ipad.

Anyone have experience with using an iPad for musical applications? Do you feel the sound is of high enough quality to include in production? What are some good apps you've toyed with?

Fossiel

Re: iPad synths and daws

Post by Fossiel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Korg Gadget has a lot of versatality to offer. The built in synths sound pretty alright. The effects are mostly built inside the synths, and sound not too great. Also not very enthusiastic about the standard drumkits it offers.

You can boost this app with a sampler (use your own stuff), and the piano upgrade looks promising.. never used it tho.

c33

Post by c33 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Garageband has some nice sounding instruments. I've used NI's iMaschine on a few tracks and enjoy working with the app. You can export .wav files, but I do find the sound quality for this app is often lacking.

I like Samplr, Figure, LoopyHD, Alchemy, Thor, SoundPrism and LaunchPad, to name a few. Singaling and Harmony Voice are nice for certain vocal applications, and they'll record external mics via your Audio Interface.

There are a lot of apps I've not dove into extensively (including some I've listed). But to answer your question, yes, the iPad has a number of great tools and virtual instruments available that can yield high quality results and enhance your existing setup.

Auria is the best DAW for the iPad, and a new version with MIDI support is expected this spring. Auria has all the FabFilter plugins available for purchase in their store for a fraction of what they cost on your desktop.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Sound quality is no issue at all on the iPad, just as good as any of the desktop tools IMO. Been using mine a lot over the last few years for writing music, pretty much everything I did in 2014 was done on the iPad in fact.

As mentioned, Auria is great for an all around audio DAW, probably my favorite app when you factor in the insane deal on all the Fabfilter plug ins. Cubase is a good runner up, though personally I find Auria easier to use if you don't need MIDI (yet).

As for apps, I'd recommend:

- Traktor DJ
- Loopy HD
- Gadget, iKaossilator, Figure, triqtraq, Beatmaker2
- Thor, Alchemy Mobile, Photophore, Nave, Sunrizer, DM1, iElectribe, iSEM, Impaktor, Thumbjam, and Animoog.

Audiobus is a big favorite of a lot of people, though honestly I find it a bit clunky and hit or miss in terms of stability. I generally try and stick with apps that are IAA (inter app audio) compatible instead, they show up just like normal plug ins in Auria then. The Audiobus forums are a great place to find out about anything related to iPAd music making though.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:14 pm

korg gadget also has an option to export your song has a live project.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:16 am

If I were to only buy three ipad apps, they would be:

Sunrizer
Korg Gadget
Touchable 3

If you want something fun and free, there is Auxy :D (which does have an in app purchase to upgrade it as a midi player, but I am waiting to see if they make a more rugged transposition feature first :P ) Launchpad is also free and offers IAPs, if you have a newer launchpad or launch control, it's pretty fun to fuck with!

Most effective peripheral: USB to ipad adapter.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:44 am

adding this into the deal for people having a mac : http://midimux.com

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:29 am

...yes, these "mux"-guys are awesome...besides midimux they also have audiomux (which lets you "stream" audio from your ipad via the usb cable) and they're also planning oscmux...one of the greatest synth for ipad is tc-11: http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-11/
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:20 pm

Samplr is great for playing and capturing samples - particularly the ebow mode, Loopy HD is a really strong live multitrack looper, Korg Gadget is a bit like a really simple version of Live with a simple fm synth, trance hoover, chiptune emulator, drum machines and a couple of subtractive synths. Its worth getting the Bilbao sample playback drum machine as a powerup. Abu dhabi is great but not really essential.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:22 pm

Borderlands 2

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:09 pm

Borderlands intimidates me haha. I know it is meant to make very out there sounds, but I'd be more tempted to control it as a standard looper/delay/mixing(like tapes or vinyl), and I'm not sure how well it handles simple tracking of a clip instead of granularly tracking.

All the possibilities for live input and resampling do look very fun to experiment with, along with positioning everything everywhere on a 2D plane

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:35 pm

I wish the parameters had some sort of bpm sync personally, at least then it would be easier to use the results in a more rhythmical context. Neat app though.

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:25 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...yes, these "mux"-guys are awesome...besides midimux they also have audiomux (which lets you "stream" audio from your ipad via the usb cable) and they're also planning oscmux...one of the greatest synth for ipad is tc-11: http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-11/
damn that is one cool looking synth...
looks like its stacked with hella programmability

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:04 pm

...yep...and the main difference is that it's not controlled by "regular" knob controllers or whatever but with the ipad's touch surface...AND: they also offer the "control surface" as an extra app for controlling whatever you want to control...: http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-data/
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:51 pm

Hervé wrote:adding this into the deal for people having a mac : http://midimux.com
Damn, offering both as a bundle! Will have to cop.