Scene launch issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Durrdurrdurr

Scene launch issue

Post by Durrdurrdurr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:19 am

Hey, i use Maschine as a drum sequencer in Ableton 9. Alle drums is programmed in scenes in the Maschine plugin, and the scenes is trigged with midi in Ableton. I use Ableton in session mode

However, im experiencing an issue with this. Sometimes, the scenes startes NOT on the first bar, but on the second or third. And sometimes the scene loop starts over before it gets to the end og the scene. The result is that the drum loop sometimes play a bar or two out of sync with the Ableton track.

I managed to track down the source of the problem, but not the solution. Here it goes:

Ok. So the source of the problem is that i play my songs in session view, often one scene at the time. Some scenes is supposed to be 8 bars, some 4, and some scenes just stop the sound, a break if you like. In the break Ableton just wait for me, a human, to continue. This break could be 4 bars, but also 2-3 bars. Sometimes i want to go to next scene fast, after 3 bars or so, if i feel like it. Im not a machine:)

However, launching a scene does not restart the playback counter on the top. It just starts the clips, where it think i should start, according to the counter. In the Ableton manual it says "Notice that, even if you stop playback for a Session View clip, the Play button in the Control Bar will remain highlighted, and the Arrangement Position fields will continue running. These fields keep a continuous flow of musical time going, so that you can always know your position in song time during a live performance or while recording into the Arrangement, regardless of what your individual Session clips are doing."

So my problem is that when i launch a scene, i want everything to start from 1. Today i need to wait for the playback counter to reach 8 bars before i can get it to launch from 1, something that rarely happens.

Do you guys know any solution for me? I still dont know how to play my tracks live..

swishniak

Re: Scene launch issue

Post by swishniak » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 am

hey durr durr

not sure if this answers your question, but you can set the "quantisation" of each clip = how long live waits to launch it after you click it.

there is also a global quantisation setting .. hope that helps.

Durrdurrdurr

Post by Durrdurrdurr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi there.. I have been experimenting with this, but it doest do exactly what i want. I have set Maschine to retrigg, so now it always start from beatnote 1. Thats a improvement. But still, when the Ableton global playback goes back to 1, the Maschine is also restarted back to 1, even if the audio clip im trying to sync it with is still not finished (still not at 8 bars)

Put simply, what i need is for the Maschine to start from the beginning, in synch with when the rest of the audioclips on the Ableton Scene starts, but not care what the Ableton global playback is doing...

Any ideas?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:36 am

Clips are in Legato mode ?
Edit : read too quickly. I don't use Maschine.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1