Midi E-Drum Sets with Live Suite... Setting up???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Willyum

Midi E-Drum Sets with Live Suite... Setting up???

Post by Willyum » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Just ordered a Alesis DM7X Session drum kit to learn how to play drums. I'm sure most of the midi setup will be pretty standard, but I'm guessing Hi-Hat control pedal and Cymbal chokes control might be a little tricky. I have Suite with all the Session Packs installed.
Anyone have any tips on setting up 'properly'. Are there templates (maybe Max or something) that allows you to quickly scroll-assign E-drum pads to sounds in the Rack, or will I manually have to go in and change the midi-note assignment every time for every drum pad?

Any tips from any Ableton drummers (or Reason, if there are any here).... Thanx

login

Re: Midi E-Drum Sets with Live Suite... Setting up???

Post by login » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:24 pm

You are right, the normal hits are easy but the chokes open/closed hats and snare rim are not easy to map.

The first problem is that not all edrum kits work the same way so first you have to figure eaxctly what kind of messages the e drum kit sends for this kind of hits.

For example in Roland kits chokes seems to activate aftertouch and I didnt find a way to map this in Live for drum racks.

Rim has sometimes the problem as to send the same note as the normal snare so you cant get rims to trigger independently.

Now I use Addictive drums and it comes with premade mapa for Roland and Yamaha kits and it works pretty weel, but inside Live you cant get chokes still.

Willyum

Re: Midi E-Drum Sets with Live Suite... Setting up???

Post by Willyum » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:14 am

Oh lord... Looks like i will be spending more money on drum apps. Of course when the kit arrives I'll check it out first, I'm pretty sure the snare-rim on Alesis is actually a second midi note. The Hi-hat will probably be a major headache cause that's 5 sounds (pedal opening, closing, hit closed, hit half open and hit wide open). I hope someone comes in here with the secret assignments... Thanx for the response, I will try the Addictive Drums demo...