High End Monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
granted

Re: High End Monitors

Post by granted » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Genelec 8)

theswiftone

Post by theswiftone » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:30 pm

This thread wasn't meant to cause any rows lol.... I was just after peoples opinions. I'm no fool and wouldn't just go buy a pair of monitors because someone said they were the best (in there opinion lol).... Had my current monitors for six years so I know that whatever I buy will be with me for along time to come, so need to make the right choice. I'm going to listen to all the monitors before I buy. The ones I stated are the particular ones I was interested in, but I'm vey open to advice of what else to check out. My room will be treated by myself with the absorbers and bass traps I have, but I know it won't be a perfect mixing environment. Just after advice and appreciate any given......

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:07 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Bionecteur wrote:
Hi Machinesworking, no offense, I did the same, believe me ...I spend days on it...

the only thing what I did not like is the imperative tone, saying " you should go for EVENT or FOCAL...after I posted my view...this is like saying, I give a shit on others opinion ...go for this. I hope you understand my reaction...
No I don't understand your reaction, you assumed he hadn't treated his room, and other things, you assumed a lot. I didn't knock you for that, it's not a discussion on hard issues, so it's not one where anyones tone or insinuation of which is better really is that important. For instance YOU made the insinuation that Neumann was the way to go over other choices, including EVENT by way of ALL CAPS... :lol: but yeah, you're giving a less biased opinion?? What exactly are you saying? that after you clearly tried Events no one should post that they like them without referencing your post?

"I would definitely be looking at either the Events or Focals."
That sentence is clearly less filled with TONE than what you wrote, and I'm sorry but I didn't mention Events because of your post at all, mostly because I owned lesser Events and liked them, plus Tarekith gave the newer top end models high marks. I'm personally very biased towards the Focals.

My advice to you, stop taking your goddammed opinion so seriously. The world will not end if the OP buys the "wrong" speakers and neither of us get fuck all if he chooses speakers based on our opinions or advice. Reading tone into posts on the internet will get you involved in endless arguments, not worth it.

Maybe we are lost in translation here...

The only think I wanted to say is...make your own assumption by testing a bunch of speakers (ideally at home) and choose what you like most..

I like Neumann, but FOCAL and EVENT are fine speakers as well.

And of course I really respect Tarekith opinion on the OPAL...

mmmh, so you ar right :reading tone into post....not worth it.

I need a beer now....

EDIT: Ahh, now I found the source of the negative reaction...it was in my first post...

I wanted to say that the OP should take " them " referred to the Neumanns...but I wanted to say "take different speaker and try them at home if possible....

haha...ok, ok...now I got you...

I am not working for Neumann ;-)

so, yeah, sorry. was not meant in that way..

Best

uwe

Uwe
ritsch, ratsch, klick

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Definitely the Focal Solo 6 BE. Maybe the Twins if you can spring it.
The clarity of the tweeter combined with the nice punch you get from the front bass port, makes it a joy to work with. The stereo image is also very nice if you use it for more roomy music.

The Opals are nice, but like their budget 20/20, its like getting punched in the face with sound.
Very powerful monitors to produce electronic music on though. Personally I find them too powerful for the desktop. Yes, you'll get a bass that'll be felt 3 houses down. But I can only describe it as a different color of sound that is an acquired taste. There is something in the mid that seems off to me, but I haven't gone as far as measure and adjust it. And like Tarekith said, they're heavy buggers.

The Eggs are also powerful and have their own color of sound. Much less forgiving out of the sweetspot though.
While a lot of monitors in the high-end tend to have setting for desktop reflections, this model just pumps the bass onto your desk.

No experience with the Genelecs and Neumann's. Though I hear good things about the KH120 and KH310.
If I had the money, I'd go with the Focal SM9's, extending from the sound I already love from the Solo 6 BE. But who has the money and space to place those buggers? The Solo isn't a compromise, they're powerful enough to use at mid-field ranges without much reduction in clarity. The Opals can be used from the middle of an actual field.
Of all the models you have in mind, the Focals are the only ones you could buy blindly and not regret for sure. Most neutral sound, awesome stereo image and a bass that works for all styles of music. I realize its all personal taste, but even more so with the other models.
While I'm almost definitely sold on the Solo's myself, I still want to try out the Eve SC307 before I fully settle. I was quite impressed with the SC205/SC208. Good luck with the hunt!. If going to Belgium is an option, I could arrange for you to try some of these models. PM me in that case, I don't lurk daily anymore.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Agree with hoffman here, except personally I thought the Genelecs in general had an odd high end, and liked the Nuemanns I heard but they were 5" and I wanted at least 6 1/2" speakers. Plus my budget was $2,000 and I would have to spend more than that on the 6 1/2" Neumanns.
mmmh, so you ar right :reading tone into post....not worth it.
Absolutely no worries! 8)

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:03 am

Munro Eggs are great. I have a pair. Even with an untreated room they sound great. Very low noise.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

ilia

Post by ilia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:21 am

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you are not considering ADAMs? If the S2X's are out of your budget, a possible alternative (depending on room/style of music/work habits, etc) might be a pair of S1X's with a sub.

theswiftone

Post by theswiftone » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Didn't consider the Adams as making electronic music and was always told they favoured rock/acoustic styles. But going to make a trip into London next month to listen to a selection of monitors.

brettonwoodsapocalypse

Post by brettonwoodsapocalypse » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:05 pm

I work in a studio and we tried several monitors a few months ago. We settled on the Focal Twins because we thought that the bass / treble balanced was just perfect. I use Genelecs at home (home studio model) but the bass are a bit too generous, although it's very good speakers. I'm quite a fan of the Focals now, I tried their headphones too which are excellent.
Just my 2cents

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:50 pm

I've owned both the Opals and Twins... I sold the Twins because the Opals were that much better, especially for doing work with any real low end. I liked the Opals better than Focals, Adams, and Genelecs, but then I sold the Opals and bought Barefoot MM27 Gen2's and I won't be moving from them anytime soon ;)

TL;DR Go Opals.

pepe castillio

Post by pepe castillio » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:14 pm

i got funktion one in my place and i like them better then all mentioned so far, you can't begin to imagine how passionate the neighbors and police get at 4am banging at my doors

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:48 am

pepe castillio wrote:i got funktion one in my place and i like them better then all mentioned so far, you can't begin to imagine how passionate the neighbors and police get at 4am banging at my doors
Cause they want to get closer to the sweet spot :)