High End Monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theswiftone

High End Monitors

Post by theswiftone » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:29 am

Will be looking to upgrade my monitors this year heres what I'm thinking of:

Focal Twin 6 BE
Genelec 8050BPM
EVENT Opal
Munro Sonic Egg150

Need to find somewhere in the UK to test them, but was wondering what people thoughts are?

pepe castillio

Re: High End Monitors

Post by pepe castillio » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:10 pm

1. is your room treated before taking on high-end ?
2. will these be at a desktop or freestanding (distance is important) , where will they be placed ?

if your on desktop >1m away, forget opal, too much power...if your next to a wall, forget genelec, back firing port...see where I'm going ?

these are more important questions then which monitor, cause frankly at this end and $, component and design of each are more then sufficient at any mix you can throw at them, its more about what your environment will throw back at you at this point.. once you come to a good compromise, the next decision should be based on which visually appeals to you.. make the purchase, and dont backtrack on your decision for a long time..if you want to get really good :)

theswiftone

Post by theswiftone » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Im moving in just over a month so what treatment I have is boxed up. But the room will have absorbers and two bass traps. I hoping to compensate any room issues by purchasing Sonarworks Reference 3. Speakers will be on a desk. Might not have the luxury of being able to be far enough away from the wall so this is a good point to consider.... Thanks for the advice, very constructive.

dewaldo

Post by dewaldo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm a big fan of my Adam A77X's (especially after using Sonarworks). The three-way design gives you a nice wide soundstage and great frequency separation. I use my Adam's on a desk fairly close together (and close to me) and I get great results out of it. I know the Focal Twin's are very similar to the A77X's, so I would go with those out of your list.

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:31 am

theswiftone wrote:Will be looking to upgrade my monitors this year heres what I'm thinking of:

Focal Twin 6 BE
Genelec 8050BPM
EVENT Opal
Munro Sonic Egg150

Need to find somewhere in the UK to test them, but was wondering what people thoughts are?
Just curious, what are you upgrading from?
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:38 am

Nothing but good things to say about the Opals I used to have, amazing speaker for the price. Cast aluminum though, VRRY heavy. Just a heads up since you're putting them on a desk.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:08 am

HI,

I was in the same situation, updating my monitors...Tried a whole bunch including GENELECS ; Munro ; EVENT etc... but went for the Neumann KH 310, which I found (for my room; treated) gave me the best listening experience. What I want to say is, take your time; take them and try at home if possible and listen to the music you know best. A treated room of course is vital.
ritsch, ratsch, klick

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:19 am

I would definitely be looking at either the Events or Focals.

theswiftone

Post by theswiftone » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:16 am

gjm wrote:
theswiftone wrote:Will be looking to upgrade my monitors this year heres what I'm thinking of:

Focal Twin 6 BE
Genelec 8050BPM
EVENT Opal
Munro Sonic Egg150

Just curious, what are you upgrading from?

Current monitors are Sonodyne SM100Ak.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 am

Other brands to consider PSI, Amphion. Find a way to test in your room before you buy and take your time.
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:51 pm

so, if Maschinesworking says. the EVENT or FOCAL , you should go for it...

Seriously, this investment is for the next 10 yeasr at least , I guess...try different at home and buy the ones you like the most... yeah, the EVENTS came close to the Neumanns in my view...but this only my view...

Best

Uwe
ritsch, ratsch, klick

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Bionecteur wrote:so, if Maschinesworking says. the EVENT or FOCAL , you should go for it...
He is asking for our opinion. I spent days in local music stores listening to monitors and those were the ones that sounded the clearest and least hyped to me. This is what he asked for, our choices, he didn't insinuate that he knows nothing about room treatment, or that he's making a rash decision without thinking it out.

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Bionecteur wrote:so, if Maschinesworking says. the EVENT or FOCAL , you should go for it...
He is asking for our opinion. I spent days in local music stores listening to monitors and those were the ones that sounded the clearest and least hyped to me. This is what he asked for, our choices, he didn't insinuate that he knows nothing about room treatment, or that he's making a rash decision without thinking it out.
Hi Machinesworking, no offense, I did the same, believe me ...I spend days on it...

the only thing what I did not like is the imperative tone, saying " you should go for EVENT or FOCAL...after I posted my view...this is like saying, I give a shit on others opinion ...go for this. I hope you understand my reaction...
ritsch, ratsch, klick

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Bionecteur wrote:
Hi Machinesworking, no offense, I did the same, believe me ...I spend days on it...

the only thing what I did not like is the imperative tone, saying " you should go for EVENT or FOCAL...after I posted my view...this is like saying, I give a shit on others opinion ...go for this. I hope you understand my reaction...
No I don't understand your reaction, you assumed he hadn't treated his room, and other things, you assumed a lot. I didn't knock you for that, it's not a discussion on hard issues, so it's not one where anyones tone or insinuation of which is better really is that important. For instance YOU made the insinuation that Neumann was the way to go over other choices, including EVENT by way of ALL CAPS... :lol: but yeah, you're giving a less biased opinion?? What exactly are you saying? that after you clearly tried Events no one should post that they like them without referencing your post?

"I would definitely be looking at either the Events or Focals."
That sentence is clearly less filled with TONE than what you wrote, and I'm sorry but I didn't mention Events because of your post at all, mostly because I owned lesser Events and liked them, plus Tarekith gave the newer top end models high marks. I'm personally very biased towards the Focals.

My advice to you, stop taking your goddammed opinion so seriously. The world will not end if the OP buys the "wrong" speakers and neither of us get fuck all if he chooses speakers based on our opinions or advice. Reading tone into posts on the internet will get you involved in endless arguments, not worth it.