How to manage the time between loading a liveset?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Schmidi

Re: How to manage the time between loading a liveset?

Post by Schmidi » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:20 pm

Angstrom wrote:We should do like the old 60s folk singers and tell stories between songs.

"Now let me tell you about the time I had to send away to eBay for a floppydrive power transfer band for an SY85. Now I know what you are thinking, those Yamahas have all the logic boards installed using weird lugs which really need a factory tool and are really in the way of the ... Oh, the next song has loaded up, I guess I'll just press the ol' spacebar. This one is a little number we call Facemeltedfuckstorm3000 "

THAT would be awesome! I can hear this on the next Prairie Home Companion!

How about a good old Kaoss Pad? Sample the outgoing track, loop it, fade to the KP, load your next set/track, and fade over to that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:00 pm

If you’re performing dance music then all you need is a cheap synth, find a pad preset, and hold a chord. If that’s good enough for the breakdown in every damn dance track being released today then it’s certainly good enough for your set load time. :x

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:53 am

I wanted to try importing my other tracks into one Master track and see how long it took to load and if such a thing would be manageable. Nobody has tried making a big 'ol Frankenstein track complete with original midi tracks and what-not?

This is kind of my 1st world gripe with Live right now. It isn't great for REALLY playing live. Unless you are purely sample based. Then you're set for life.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:11 am

All i can remember making sets take a long time to load are of they have a rack containing a shitload of other racks or when i used to load drum racks that contained (or referenced) a shitload of samples.

It's worth trying to make a master set of your other sets.
And, IF you don't use group tracks much, you can make each of your songs a group track, just to keep things organized.

But I've had around 20 grouped tracks, each containing 8-16 tracks with a bit of native effects here and there for each mini-set (group track).

Live is good at only processing what's being used in the moment, but i do agree that's its weakness is playing multiple synths at once.
Yes, when its samples, its all good, but when you're using cpu chewing synths and fx (especially 3rd party) then yoi can't play as much at once.
But you can still jave a shitload of them loaded, it's just what's playing all at once is the concern.
I think i just reiterated your statement mpre in-depth, hope that helps.
ImageImage