Turntable Repair in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gaijin1717

Turntable Repair in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Post by gaijin1717 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Something with the platter on my Stanton STR8-150 went wonky and is in need of repair. Anyone know of any places in the SF Bay Area that might be options? I contacted Music Lovers in Berkeley as suggested by friends, but they don't do turntable repair and actually suggested I replace the table without even seeing it. I wonder if they would have said the same thing if it was my Technics 1200...There's got to be someone out there that does this...Maybe I'll contact WaveFormLess and Robot Speak to see what they suggest.

infernal.machine

Re: Turntable Repair in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:35 pm

What is a turntable?

Is it sort of like a lazy susan?

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:43 pm

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:38 pm

So it's kinda like an old iPod?

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Yeah, but like a first generation one with the buttons.

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:59 pm

If you can't find anybody independent that specializes in repairs on dj equipment; a visit to guitar center could help. Look up any music equipment shops in SF; I'm sure they've got leads...and some have go to do repair.

Good luck!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:19 pm

You won't find any quality niche services like that in SF because all the tech assholes who work in a 50 mile radius insist on living there and the landlords more than quadruple the rent the second it is legal to do so. Turntable technicians can't afford to pay $15,000 a month for their quaint repair closet. :x

Maybe inquire on DjTechTools.com. They're SF based...or at least Bay Area.

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks, Beats. I actually found a place in Alameda called Champlifier that is willing to take a look. Not sure they'll be able to help, but it's the best lead I've found so far.

A quick note about Guitar Center: I have an older Ibanez acoustic-electric. The electronics controls - volume, tuner, eq, etc. - are held in place on the body through tension created when you screw the face plate into the electronics that reside inside the body. Well, my face plate somehow melted and the electronics fell in. I took it to Guitar Center and after some discussion about how I couldn't get a replacement part, but that they may be able to fabricate something (which would cost an arm and a leg), they decided they wouldn't touch it at all and told me to come pick up the guitar. I found an Ibanez-authorized dealer through their website, sent an email to the repair department, and within a week had the replacement part that I could easily install myself, all for the price of $20. You can't even haggle at Guitar Center anymore, which is the only reason I would go there instead of a local business. Well, I guess that's not totally true - it's a great place to get some hands-on experience before making a purchase elsewhere.