Saving kontakt instruments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mymilq

Saving kontakt instruments

Post by mymilq » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:55 am

Is there any way to save kontakt instruments like you can sampler instruments, where the samples are stored inside abletons file structure, so if I delete the original kontakt library I don't have to worry about losing my saved instruments?

Machinesworking

Re: Saving kontakt instruments

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:47 am

mymilq wrote:Is there any way to save kontakt instruments like you can sampler instruments, where the samples are stored inside abletons file structure, so if I delete the original kontakt library I don't have to worry about losing my saved instruments?
Yes, inside Kontakt you can save a copy of the preset and samples to another folder. Live won't save it for you, but you can save them in the project folder, that way if you move them to a new computer etc. it's dead easy to re-link the files.

If it's a factory patch though you aren't going to be able to save the samples by copying them, NI have them protected, so the factory library for Kontakt and third party protected libraries have that as a downside.

Another point to make is it's definitely best to save the patch in a folder in Live, that way if for some reason you come back to the song years later you can open up Kontakt 10 or what not then load the patch into it, since NI consider each new version of Kontakt a separate instrument! :x :x :x

mymilq

Post by mymilq » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:51 am

Perfect!
Thank you so much

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:25 pm

What about the instrument racks a guy has been putting together for NI instruments to use in Live? I forget thread name. Only downside is if you got rid of the NI stuff you're not legally to keep said instruments from NI. Just saying is all, but there are some racks a person has been putting a lot of hard work into. I have to actually go look for it again as I was thinking of doing this to utilize them inside Live/Sampler (I think that's what they were doing, go find the thread ;-) ).

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:37 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:What about the instrument racks a guy has been putting together for NI instruments to use in Live? I forget thread name. Only downside is if you got rid of the NI stuff you're not legally to keep said instruments from NI. Just saying is all, but there are some racks a person has been putting a lot of hard work into. I have to actually go look for it again as I was thinking of doing this to utilize them inside Live/Sampler (I think that's what they were doing, go find the thread ;-) ).

Mike
That might be possible with kontakt 4 and below, but the Kontakt 5 library is compressed with a proprietary format that effectively prevents you from loading Konakt instruments into other samplers like Abletons Sampler.