APC Key 25

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
empathy1

APC Key 25

Post by empathy1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:49 pm

Anyone else got this sucker? I grabbed one because it was cheap, small, and seemed to have a good balance of features. Admittedly the keys could be a lot better, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Does anyone know if there's a way to overdub a currently existing midi loop from the key 25? or do you have to write into an entirely new clip slot? I haven't found a way to trigger recording within a standing midi clip, to my dismay.

Every time I hit a clip within the matrix, it just triggers it to play, and after trying every button combination possible I can't get it to record. Frustrating.

Also do any of you feel there's a controller that beats this one in this price range? I'm considering selling it off.

Buleriachk

Re: APC Key 25

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:50 pm

I tried recording with the same result. Everything is armed, inputs are fine, and nothing - it just plays. (Not only that, there is no Session Overview on either this unit or the APC Mini. Their programmer is an idiot. ) Be sure and submit a bug report.

Let me know how much you get for it, (and where you sold it) so I can sell mine.... (although it is really cheap to begin with, so it won't be much...)

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:08 pm

In ableton, to the right of the play and stop buttons, there is a +, I would bind this to a computer keyboard shortcut or a shortcut on your apc, this + sign when lit enables overdubbing of a midi region, wether it is automation or new notes to the existing region.

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:12 pm

pinkpaint wrote:In ableton, to the right of the play and stop buttons, there is a +, I would bind this to a computer keyboard shortcut or a shortcut on your apc, this + sign when lit enables overdubbing of a midi region, wether it is automation or new notes to the existing region.
i will try this when i get home thank you

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:23 pm

pinkpaint wrote:In ableton, to the right of the play and stop buttons, there is a +, I would bind this to a computer keyboard shortcut or a shortcut on your apc, this + sign when lit enables overdubbing of a midi region, wether it is automation or new notes to the existing region.
I tried this, and it didn't work either. (record works fine from the Push)

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:27 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
I tried this, and it didn't work either. (record works fine from the Push)
hah, i use mine alongside my push too. most of the time i end up just writing on the push!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Near the + button is also a hollow o button. You cannot overdub unless that is activated.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:15 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Near the + button is also a hollow o button. You cannot overdub unless that is activated.
On mine, it won't even record an initial clip, much less overdub; and again, the Push works fine with the same controls...

Update:
"yur2die4" is correct (read below); at least that solved it for me. (You have to activate the "Session Record" button automatically. Also check the "start transport with record" option if that is what you want (doesn't affect the session record issue, though)

It apparently will not activate the "session record" button automatically like the Push (the circle next to the "new" button (there is a setting in Preferences); you have to use the mouse, at least on the initial record. And if you stop looping, the button sometimes goes out, and you have to manually activate it again. At the very least, it is inconsistent compared with Push and other controller interfaces.

Bottom line: make sure the "session record" button is activated....
Last edited by Buleriachk on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:Near the + button is also a hollow o button. You cannot overdub unless that is activated.
On mine, it won't even record an initial clip, much less overdub; and again, the Push works fine with the same controls...
well...it should record into an empty slot. have the record arm enabled. hit the clip slot, and if you have count-in on, it should flash four times before turning red to indicate active recording.

need overdub tho

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:23 pm

The circle button is called the 'session record' button I think. They implemented it as an easy way to make Push only require one record button instead of having a record and an overdub button.

If it is not on you cannot record or overdub in session view. So if you can find a way to activate that, an armed track will have no problem overdubbing. In fact, in most cases, you hardly even need to launch a clip. You can just hit that button and it'll often times record a clip automatically.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:37 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The circle button is called the 'session record' button I think. They implemented it as an easy way to make Push only require one record button instead of having a record and an overdub button.

If it is not on you cannot record or overdub in session view. So if you can find a way to activate that, an armed track will have no problem overdubbing. In fact, in most cases, you hardly even need to launch a clip. You can just hit that button and it'll often times record a clip automatically.
This is correct; on the APC Key 25 you have to activate "Session Record" manually (unlike Push) - keep an eye on it and make sure it is on before you start keying...

lakoske

Post by lakoske » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:25 pm

Hi guys.
I wrote a MIDI Remote Script for the APC-Key 25.
The script adds such a functionality as undo, delete clip, turning on the metronome, session record button, solo and mute buttons.
I personally use this script for 2 years. And it seems to me very comfortable.
The version for Ableton 11 is ready.
I will be glad if you like it. here is the link.
https://github.com/lakoske/AKAI-APC-Key ... ote-Script