MIDI guitar to USB and Live 9 Intro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Russound

MIDI guitar to USB and Live 9 Intro

Post by Russound » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:47 pm

I have recently gotten a Casio MG-500 electric guitar with MIDI device capabilities. Naturally, I now wanna use it with Live, as I have previously just been using a Yamaha keyboard for MIDI, and I'm not really a pianist but a guitarist.
So as you can see the guitar has an oldschool MIDI output to which I planned on buying a MIDI to USB cable, but they all seem to come with this double setup with MIDI in & MIDI out to USB, so I don't know how I would use that, just plug the MIDI out in and let the other half hang?
So here are the settings on the thing, I just have a regular USB outlet on my Windows 7 laptop and an Intro Live 9 32bit.
Can somebody help out on what I should do and which cable converter I should buy to make this thing work? Thanks.

Liam

Re: MIDI guitar to USB and Live 9 Intro

Post by Liam » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:28 pm

You only need to use the midi out from the Casio - so use the midi in side of that usb cable into the Casio and place the usb end into your PC or Mac. MIDI Out goes to MIDI In.

Some usb cable require a driver (probably on a cd that comes with the cable and/or download any driver / updates from the manufacturer). Some may not need any special driver at all.

Russound

Re: MIDI guitar to USB and Live 9 Intro

Post by Russound » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:04 am

Alright that clears it up, surprisingly never had to use that kind of cable before so thank you.