Metronomes through second soundcard, or equivilant

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The_Subject

Metronomes through second soundcard, or equivilant

Post by The_Subject » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:56 pm

All my outputs are being used for separate drums (or in some cases individual drums going to strobes)

I want my click though but obviously not heard by the crowd, but my computer has a crappy mini-jack headphone out. This will do, but how do I get the click to it?

As I see it, my options are:
- route through two soundcards - can ableton be made to do this?
- a separate click track program - but then it has to start and stop on abletons command, and follow the bpm, ie midi clock slave. Any recommendations on good, simple, (ideally free!) programs out there that just run slave-able midi clocks?
- Or any other suggestions?

sounddevisor

Re: Metronomes through second soundcard, or equivilant

Post by sounddevisor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:33 am

If you are on Mac OSX and using the CoreAudio driver, you can create what's called an "aggregate device" which will combine your interface with the built-in output. Then you can just send your click to only the built-in headphone jack.

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:27 am

...and on a PC? Any ideas?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:47 am

Maybe post details of your current setup.

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Wed May 06, 2015 11:36 pm

I'm kinda building the new set up as we speak....but what would you need to know?

My computer - Gigabyte Brix 5
Running Windows 7
Ableton Live 9

Currently just fixing up using a new soundcard - Focusrite Saffire Pro 14

Reason I say fixing is the Brix doesn't have firewire and is so small needs special conneects to get firewire which I'm just sorting now.

I don't know specifically what you'd need to know. The crappy jack soundcard in the Brix is whatever it came with - all the documentation on the computer are about installing RAM and Hard-disk (as I had to buy these separately).
A techy friend of mine mentioned the Hardware in the Brix IS more like a mac although we tried running Mac OS on it and there were a couple of issues that stopped it working.

As I've said, I think really I need a separate MIDI clock program that can take MIDI in from Ableton, but metronome audio out to its own soundcard.

Obviously any other way is cool - but I'm afraid I don't have much info to give on the internal works of this computer.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:26 am

Do you use asio4all for the current audio device?

You mention already using outputs for specific drums etc. How many total outs do you currently use?