a touch screen with ableton

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
gouyou

a touch screen with ableton

Post by gouyou » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:28 am

hello...
I'm interesting in using live ableton with a touch screen...
But I never try to use one....
Is it ok? Can we easily use ableton or it isn't very precise?
Did you test some config?

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:39 pm

I use an ELO touchscreen and unless you lower your screens resolution to 800 x 600,it is not very reliable. Too many small buttons in Live where you may accidentally hit multiples or nothing at all. Also, Live's faders do not scroll smoothly. They jump from one point to the next with no smooth transition in between.
Other than that, I do have a blast with clip triggering, quick scanning through the browser etc.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:12 pm

We just got a Openlabs Neko that were setting up to display in the store, but it won't be plugged in until like thursday, and the Live load and NFR serials sorting out could take a bit longer...

But I will soon be able to answer this question!

Wheeeeee! Borging out with Grain Delay and my index finger is soon to be a reality! :o

bug nasty

Post by bug nasty » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:37 pm

Jealous 8O Jealous 8O
Please let us know how the Neko is.... 8O

8O buggin 8O
8O..................8O

rictheobscene

Post by rictheobscene » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:47 pm

I work for an integrator, so I get to 'try' a lot of stuff without ponying the cash. I currently do not run touch screens with Live, but I did some testing using Dolch screens with Live and Cubase on the PC platform. Here is what I found.

It is better use the serial touchscreens than the USB touchscreens if you have a lot of USB controllers. Now, if the screens are replacing the USB controllers, then it is a judgement call. However, if you go serial and later remove your USB controllers, you are not out anything.

Make sure the screens support 5-point calibration instead of 2-point. It is more expensive, but the accuracy trade off between the two makes the savings irrelevant (this is my opinion)

3M makes the best surface on the market, and their drivers are dead nuts on. A variety of manufacturers use the 3M surface. You can tell by the drivers they provide. If they are touchware drivers, the surface is 3M.

If you go this route, make sure you build a rig that can hang with the weight, or you will be out the cash.

Best of Luck
With Regards:

Ric (the) Obscene
http://www.ghettoanalogue.com

sp0bjogu

Post by sp0bjogu » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:11 pm

I had the chance to play with a HP Compaq tc1100 Tablet PC and installed the Live 4 demo just to see if it was any good. I can't say it was...

Using the pen against the 10.4" screen was too inaccurate. Using the dock (with it's keyboard as an ordinary notebook) worked better,
but then I'd rather buy an ordinary laptop with better performance specs.

/sp0

gomi

Re: a touch screen with ableton

Post by gomi » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:45 pm

Joost

Post by Joost » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:16 am

i'm also interested in using a touch screen with live. Is there nowadays a touchscreen available which is precise enough to use with live? eg exact enough to input notes in the midi editor without resizing the editor

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:48 am

i bought the neko a couple of months ago and playing with the touch screen is a blast.i cant wait to play live with it.i just wish the damn thing wasnt so heavy.

jbible

Post by jbible » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:54 pm

The lemur is very cool...however it wouldnt work with Ableton as Ableton doesnt support OSC.
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry

Joost

Post by Joost » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:13 pm

john gordon wrote:i bought the neko a couple of months ago and playing with the touch screen is a blast.i cant wait to play live with it.i just wish the damn thing wasnt so heavy.
How are the faders behaving with this touchscreen? and can you easily input notes without enlarging the midi editor?

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:45 pm

Just did a Gooogle search with the keyword "touchscreen" found a website to a company that offers a touchscreen add on kit to your existing monitor.
www.magictouch.com

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:02 pm

jbible wrote:
The lemur is very cool...however it wouldnt work with Ableton as Ableton doesnt support OSC.

Someone will find a way to make with the Lemur work with Live. :wink:
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:14 pm

ishimaru wrote:
jbible wrote:

Someone will find a way to make with the Lemur work with Live. :wink:
yup you can use MAX/MSP to reroute the OSC signals from the lemur to Live :wink:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/maxmsp.html
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

dayverinton

Post by dayverinton » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:17 pm

the add-on touchscreen looks cool....but as usual for that price i don't suppose it'll work with live.......