macbook pro 13" (2015) and audio-production?!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
audio/fault

macbook pro 13" (2015) and audio-production?!

Post by audio/fault » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:36 am

hi,

i'm in the market for a new apple-notebook as my beloved macbook white mid 2009 (core2duo 2,13 ghz and 4gb ram) has a hard time handling my production tasks.
i couldn't find any infos regarding the new macbook pro 13" (with 16gb ram) regarding audio-production (mainly with ableton live in my case).
i know the 15" has a quadcore i7 (and way more power), but unfortunatelly it's way too big for me as i also need it for playing live.
i'm not really familiar with all the new processor-options, so can somebody tell my if it would only be a small jump from my current macbook? or...

my needs are something like 15 virtual instruments (mainly zebra, diva and hive) and 10 audiotracks, all with comps, eqs and some effects (nothing too demanding i guess).

is there a big difference between the i5 2,7ghz and the i7 3,1ghz (that judges 300€)?

or is the only way to go really a quadcore?

judging from this benchmarks http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks i should get about 3 times tracks/synth-voices compared to my current macbook?

any real-life experiences so far with this new macbook and live?

thanks in advance, andreas.

Ollimac73

Re: macbook pro 13" (2015) and audio-production?!

Post by Ollimac73 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:18 am

Same here, I need a new laptop, and I was going for the new MBP 13' 16GB i5....

After going through some reading; I have noticed that the RAM is important, but also the COREs....so I changed my mind for a 15' i7 QuadCore and always 16GB...beside having more real estate on the screen, it will cover me for few years having a good weight on RAM/CHIP.

my2cents.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:24 pm

With the synths you listed that you want to run I don't think a 13inch dual core will be powerful enough; you're going to have to go for the 15inch quad core (which you wont regret in the long run).

If you were only using Ableton and/or hardware instruments you could get away with a 13inch dual core but since you're wanting to use synths like Diva you're going to need all the power you can get.

The other thing is that if you don't mind freezing and unfreezing tracks you could probably get way with it but honestly you are going to be pushing the limits all the time and you'll be constantly managing your resources.
http://www.soundcloud.com/airyck-sterrett
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 7 & 8 /
2016 Macbook Pro 15"
Too much hardware to list

audio/fault

Post by audio/fault » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:15 am

thanks for your opinions!

guess i have to wait some years. until apple offers a 13" quad-core mpb... honestly the 15" mpb is just too big for me. especially for playing live.

on the other side diva, was just an example. i'm not going to have 15 diva-(polyphonic) diva-tracks ;)
there are some hardware-synths, ableton drumracks + some softsynths.
i'm doing guite ok at the moment with freezing about 75% of the tracks. so i don't mind freezing 1 or 2 too demanding tracks...

mh, still thinking.

audio/fault

Post by audio/fault » Wed May 27, 2015 9:00 am

in case someone is interested, i've decided for the "smalles" 15" mbp. works great!

rtcardinal

Post by rtcardinal » Thu May 28, 2015 6:32 am

One thing to keep in mind with the 13 and 15 inch rMBP without discrete graphics is the Iris integrate graphics are going to use Between 1-2 gigs of your system RAM (dynamically). So 8 gigs in a 13 inch retina is actually less than that.