Moving sets between computers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djnowhere

Moving sets between computers

Post by djnowhere » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:27 am

Hey guys, I've got a Macbook and an IMac and depending on where I am etc, I may be working on one or the other. I'm trying to determine how to easily work on a track on one computer and then be able to continue working on it on the other. I do the "collect all and save" and bring it to the second computer using a USB drive, open it, work on it, and then save again to that drive. Now when I bring it back to the first computer, is there a way to open it and have it save over the old version I started with? I've contemplated using Splice although I hate the idea of having the only version of a track out there in the cloud. When I bring tracks back to a computer I'm always afraid I'm doubling samples and wasting space. Any idea how to keep all of these clean and smooth running? Thanks

Tarekith

Re: Moving sets between computers

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:13 am

Just keep using the same project name and when you copy it back to your computer it will overwrite the original. Since you have two Macs, Airdrop might be easier for transferring things compared to USB drive too.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:12 pm

I've heard people use Dropbox for this as well. The first time you load your project in Dropbox, it can take a long time, depending on your upload rate with your ISP, but after that, Dropbox will "synchonize" only those files/folders that have changed.

Log into Dropbox on any computer and you will always be working with the latest version of your project. Makes collaboration easy too.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

djnowhere

Post by djnowhere » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:21 pm

Thanks a lot guys for your feedback. I hadn't thought of airdrop or Dropbox. I think I'm going to experiment with both of those for this next track and see how it goes. Obviously, start off using one and then halfway through switch to the other and see how it goes. Thanks guys