headphone click track live performance question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
p0ak

headphone click track live performance question

Post by p0ak » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Hello all, I am running Live 9 through an UAD apollo twin.

Basically the question is, Is it possible to get a click track running through my headphones but not through the main output.

I have tried to set up headphone queue 3/4 and tried different options[various online tutorials] but am unable to get the click to come out through headphones only.

sorry if this is confusing..

What I am trying to accomplish - Playing live guitar / vocals looping using ableton but i need to hear click track in headphones to match up with pre recorded beats and to make sure i get looping correct

thanks in advanced

Stromkraft

Re: headphone click track live performance question

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 pm

p0ak wrote:Hello all, I am running Live 9 through an UAD apollo twin.

Basically the question is, Is it possible to get a click track running through my headphones but not through the main output.

I have tried to set up headphone queue 3/4 and tried different options[various online tutorials] but am unable to get the click to come out through headphones only.

sorry if this is confusing..

What I am trying to accomplish - Playing live guitar / vocals looping using ableton but i need to hear click track in headphones to match up with pre recorded beats and to make sure i get looping correct

thanks in advanced
Yes it is, provided you have 2 stereo outs. If not you could experiment with 2 mono channels.

This case described below for cueing tracks for DJing is basically the same set up as the metronome is routed to the Cue Out output in Live's Master Track. Courtesy if G dup (comments section of the linked article):
1. Go to options, then preferences, then audio, in my case usb for the scarlett turn 1/2 3/4 input and output on in the output input configuration...

2. press I/O button to turn on cue function on live dashboard...

3.set master out to 1/2...

4. set cue to 3/4
How to listen to cued tracks through headphones while using a Macbook?.
Make some music!

p0ak

Post by p0ak » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried this; My audio interface has a stereo headphone output jack in the front of the unit, also has 4 left/right mono outputs on the back of the unit,
[idk if it is even possible with this interface, i'm guessing it is since I have multiple outs? but someone correct me if i'm wrong]

I went to pref and enabled 3/4 and did the cue thing where the headphone icon appears and tried plugging my headphones into every output and still no change. I messed with routing cue to output 3, 4, 5/6, 7/8, ect..
I also tried having track on, off, volume up, down, headphone monitor volume up, down,.. can't seem to figure it out.

I have done this using a different interface before so I am sort of familiar how it should work, but cannot get it to work using my UAD apollo twin(incase anyone is familiar)

bbot

Post by bbot » Sat May 30, 2015 5:34 am

Ok so I had the same issue and struggled for a while but found a solution...

1. In Live, enable another set of outputs - 5/6
2. The default for 5/6 in the UAD Console is Virtual 1/Virtual 2 - click on the Virtual 1 label in the channel strip and select Stereo Link
3. Click on the Sends area of the Virtual 1/2 channel strip and pump the HP fader to the top.
4. Make sure you have your Headphone level up and voila, click track in your headphones only.

Cheers!

p0ak

Post by p0ak » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:17 am

awesome! I will have to try this when i get home!

p0ak

Post by p0ak » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Works great! thank you

joplaysviolin

Post by joplaysviolin » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:09 pm

bbot wrote:
Sat May 30, 2015 5:34 am
Ok so I had the same issue and struggled for a while but found a solution...

1. In Live, enable another set of outputs - 5/6
2. The default for 5/6 in the UAD Console is Virtual 1/Virtual 2 - click on the Virtual 1 label in the channel strip and select Stereo Link
3. Click on the Sends area of the Virtual 1/2 channel strip and pump the HP fader to the top.
4. Make sure you have your Headphone level up and voila, click track in your headphones only.

Cheers!
I followed all of these steps but still see the metronome click in my OBS. Any suggestions?