routing out, and then back in, CC Messages.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brian sansone

routing out, and then back in, CC Messages.

Post by brian sansone » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:22 am

I would like to be able to use clip envelope CC messages to control different parts of live.

Im surprised there is no way to do this within live.

For example;

Launch a scene; one of the clips in that scene has a CC envelope that turns off my return track with reverb, instantly killing the reverb tail.

I saw a video of a midi utility that accomplishes this for OSX. I run windows 64bit.

I was able to kind of do it with max for live devices, but that put the control of the track on/off totally under Max. I could no longer click on it
on screen, or access it with my push/launchpad/apc40. Only max would control it at that point. ( M4L 01MIDI in/out & M4L API Control/MIDI cc, were the two devices I used.

Thanks!
Brian

Pitch Black

Re: routing out, and then back in, CC Messages.

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:53 am

You need to set up what's known as a "MIDI Loopback". i.e. send MIDI out from Live, and back into Live.

I'm on OSX and I use the virtual IAC bus (inter-application communication bus) which is a way on Mac of routing MIDI internally between apps.
On PC I believe you can use MIDI Ox and MIDI Yoke to achieve this.
You can also just use any 5-pin DIN hardware MIDI interface to do this as well, where you connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI Out of the interface to the MIDI In of the interface.

Whatever "interface" you're using (either a hardware, or a virtual one) you set your MIDI prefs as below (in the pic I'm using the IAC bus)
You enable "Remote" for the input, and enable "Track" for the output. That's all you have to do.

Now you can create tracks in Live with MIDI clips that contain CC's that are set to send on the selected output. Live receives the CC's on the selected input and moves the assigned parameters accordingly. No takeover issues - you can still change all your parameters manually as well.

In my performance set, I have two CC-laden clips, one that resets my mixer parameters, and another one that resets my dub/delay/feedback effects returns:

I can trigger either clip manually with two assigned buttons on my controller, and I also pepper them throughout my live set, usually in the first Scene of each song, so that I can happily bend the mix out of shape and have it reset automatically as each new song starts.

Again, you can use any MIDI Interface for this - physical or virtual - as long as it has both MIDI inputs and MIDI outputs. So long as you set the preferences as shown you won't have any issues with MIDI feedback etc.

This might seem complex to describe but its actually very simple in practice. As your topic title says - you send the MIDI CC's out of Live, and receive them back in.
I hope my description makes sense... holler if you have any trouble.

EDIT Have a look at this page: http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software.html Looks like loopMIDI or virtualMIDI might be just what you need to do this on PC.
Last edited by Pitch Black on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

brian sansone

Post by brian sansone » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks so much for the response.
I did see MIDI OX, but from what I understand, it runs on the 32bit windows.
I have the 64bit. I did not try running it; maybe I should.

My zero slmk2 has a midi in and out. I didnt even think about that until reading your response here.
Internal routing is what I would really like, so I dont always need to plug in hardware.

Thank
I'm going to try the MIDI OX
ill post back if it works or not

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 pm

The other option would be Clyphx. Have a snap action in your scene which has a snapshot of whatever mixer setup .

So you'd install Clyphx and make a snap track, then call the action in your snap track clip
[some clip name here] snap all

Or if you just want the return channels a to c

[whatever] snap a-c

Click the clip once to store it, click it again to recall it. All your controls remain available to tweak wildly, and restore by hitting that clip again. Or morph to other settings via a different clip